Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been paying monthly on a contract with O2. That contract has now ceased so I just pay monthly.
I have decided I want a new phone no but if I changed it in UK I would be back into a contract again, we move in Nov so no point.

So what do I do? I have only had my smartphone a year, so don't want to 'upgrade'.

How can I get a new no. Before moving? Need advice please.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You need to get the PUK code from 02 and then go and get any PAYG SIM you like the costs of.
When you get the new SIM they will ask for the PUK code to unlock your phone from 02.

Check with your new chosen provider before you start, they may have a simpler system in place, or they will explain it step by step to you.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
As Simon has said get your phone unlocked as this is the first requirement before coming to Spain, once done just buy a PAYG sim.

BTW its Nu. ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean you want a different UK number now? Or are you talking about changing it once you get to Spain in November?
That is the question. Can I change my no. In the UK and then just get a Spanish sim, or is it better to just get a new Spanish no?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to get the PUK code from 02 and then go and get any PAYG SIM you like the costs of.
When you get the new SIM they will ask for the PUK code to unlock your phone from 02.

Check with your new chosen provider before you start, they may have a simpler system in place, or they will explain it step by step to you.
O2 have said I get a PAK code from them, it lasts 30 days, then I should get a Spanish sim. However, this was when I said I wanted to keep my existing no, now I don't.

So I still need to know where should I get a new phone no, UK or Spain?

·
Registered
439 Posts
O2 have said I get a PAK code from them, it lasts 30 days, then I should get a Spanish sim. However, this was when I said I wanted to keep my existing no, now I don't.

So I still need to know where should I get a new phone no, UK or Spain?
Get a SIM when you get to Spain, they will give you a new number automatically and there is no issue with locked phones here, so it simplifies things for you. It does make life difficult for friends and family as they are dialing internationally but if you're living in Spain that's how it should be.

We have a 3 SIM we switched in the UK which costs £15/month with a UK number and as they have an app which allows phone/sms through (WiFi) internet and therefore costs no extra. (£15 includes unlimited data). We also have a Spanish SIM which is costing about 9e/month.

If I were to choose one, I would get the Spanish SIM as it is the simplest for you! :)

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
What is Nu?
Its for Nu(mber)

When you get here with your UK phone you just buy a new sim & pop it in.
Yes you will of course get a Spanish number & if you have whattsapp installed you can call any other whattsapp user in the world free of charge once on WiFi (most UK smartphones users have this loaded)
02 will unlock your mobile if you ask, but it can be done via ebay for a few pounds.

·
Registered
383 Posts
When I had my phone with o2 about 4 years ago they told me that o2 do not lock their phones and when I moved to Spain I just popped my new sim in and voila !!! Things may be different now.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Its for Nu(mber)
As I said in my post it's no.
The only correct and accepted abbreviation for number is "no." .

There is no such abbreviation as "nu"

1. Get UK phone unlocked (you do NOT need a PUK for this - it's a different process)
  2. Buy SIM only in Spain
  3. Put in your phone and let everyone know your new number
  4. If it's a Smartphone with a data plan or with WiFi access, install Whatsapp

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
The only correct and accepted abbreviation for number is "no." .

There is no such abbreviation as "nu"

1. Get UK phone unlocked (you do NOT need a PUK for this - it's a different process)
  2. Buy SIM only in Spain
  3. Put in your phone and let everyone know your new number
  4. If it's a Smartphone with a data plan or with WiFi access, install Whatsapp
Its ........ №.
The OP included number as no (a few times) and this may it hard to read/understand at a glance (except you I know)
So on social media nowadays its often nu to avoid the confusion with no as most do not put it as No. ;)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Its ........ №.
The OP included number as no (a few times) and this may it hard to read/understand at a glance (except you I know)
So on social media nowadays its often nu to avoid the confusion with no as most do not put it as No. ;)
or even N° !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts