Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My husband and I moved to Ontario In April, my husband is on a study visa and im on a work visa, to say the least its not been an easy 7 months, trying to adjust to a new way of life.

We both never thought it would be difficult to get a job here as we were told that Canada had a shortage on skilled workers, I have registered with 3 agency's, but to no avail, I've been told that the job situation here is very slow, and what jobs there are, are given to Canadian citizens.

I have applied for so many jobs within Finance on line but have had no luck.... I ask myself why..?.. its not that I haven't had experience in this field as I spent 12 years running a company back in the UK.

Can anyone give us any tips other than the job sites on line, and agencies, ?

I almost feel like giving up, but we have spent and given up so much to be here, We both love Canada very much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi

I may be transferring to Canada soon and we have lots of finance people in the Team. Keep in touch and I can give you the inside track on vacancies ,may not be until December

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aside from job agencies, start networking like mad. Volunteer in the community, show how you can contribute and the people you meet could open doors for you, or they may know someone who knows someone. Look for something not necessarily in your field but that may have similar skills. The more people you talk to and make friends with and ask for referrals from will help. Your resume will only get you so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aside from the advices given above, I'll recommend the following agencies that are part government funded.

COSTI
Humber Employment Services
JobStart

I can't post their website address but if you goggle, you should be able to find them.

These agencies have several locations across Ontario and it doesn't hurt to register with them. They can help you create a Canadian based resume, provide contacts and they even hold employment & training workshops. You can also request for a mentor to guide you.

My husband registered with all 3 agencies and had a job lead from JobStart which turned out positive. I wish you all the best!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aside from job agencies, start networking like mad. Volunteer in the community, show how you can contribute and the people you meet could open doors for you, or they may know someone who knows someone. Look for something not necessarily in your field but that may have similar skills. The more people you talk to and make friends with and ask for referrals from will help. Your resume will only get you so far.
great advice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi There,

sounds great thank you ill touch base with you in Dec

I may be transferring to Canada soon and we have lots of finance people in the Team. Keep in touch and I can give you the inside track on vacancies ,may not be until December

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.