Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I saw an apt back in mid Nov. It was dirty and needed some deep cleaning, but the pre requisites I had for an apt, fit.
So I told the realtor (Better Homes) that if I was to move in, it would have to be cleaned and since the fridge had pests in it, from the previous tenant leaving food in it when the power turned off, that it had to be excessively cleaned. She told me that it would be cleaned before I moved in, however they couldn't clean it until the contract was signed...

So after a month of delays getting the contract signed (Eid etc.), trying to coordinate with the other Bhomes realtor to meet me with keys, I finally moved 3 days ago. The first night was hard since the power wasn't turned on. I had given Bhomes the paperwork and money to get it turned on before I moved in, but it still didn't happen. I cleaned until the sun went down, and I couldn't see anymore in the apt. When I moved in, I felt disgusting. Looking around I realized it hadn't been cleaned, except the fridge and maybe the microwave. There was black mold in the vent in the kitchen, the oven hadn't been cleaned in a LONG time, there was a food in furnished dishes, food leftovers on the cupboards and backsplashes, used bar soaps in the bathrooms, the sheets looked like someone had slept in them for at least a month... etc

So my situation is this: I talked with the realtor since she said to contact her with any problems to get fixed etc. and I asked her to see if I could get the apt cleaned, since it hadn't been before. She said once the tenant moves in, then its up to the tenant. I understand that to a point, but if they said they were going to get it cleaned, and didn't, then how is that on me? I am even willing to meet them half way and pay half of it. But being that they are crappy Better Homes, they aren't budging. I am tempted to call the landlord himself and see if there is anything I can do. He's an expat as well, from the UK, but I doubt anything will happen. The worst thing about all of this is that I'm leaving day after tomorrow on vacation for 3 weeks with a fridge that doesn't work, and an apt that needs a deep cleaning, that is going to just sit....

Talk about UPSET! Is there a possibility to maybe go to a health dept, to see if anythign can be done or a Better Business bureau to get some help in this?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Banned
598 Posts
Best bet is to swallow your pride and pay to have it cleaned. It wont be that much money as help is cheap to find. I know its the point they said they would have it cleaned and didnt but things dont work the same way here as they do in America. You can complain untill your lips turn blue and they wont care at all. Once they have thier money you are forgotten.

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
I am unfortunately starting to realize that... How can they do that? That's so wrong.

Thanks for the advice.
Because a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on and, they will abuse you cos you're new hear, us that have been here a while will demand that it's in the contrcat - or not pay/give post dated cheques so that it will be done.

Hard lesson to learn, get it cleaned and move on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.