Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently joined in into a tech company in Dubai, and my visa is currently being processed. My PRO said that I have to exit the country and enter again for the process to complete. I was employed in another emirate before this, so I was of the opinion that I would not have to exit the country. But anyways, I spoke to my manager and he said that I would have to exit the country on my own expense or pay 1800/- again out of my pocket. I do not have this much funds ATM, and my previous employer had payed for them when applying for my initial visa. Anything that you might suggest to do that does not disturb my budget.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I recently joined in into a tech company in Dubai, and my visa is currently being processed. My PRO said that I have to exit the country and enter again for the process to complete. I was employed in another emirate before this, so I was of the opinion that I would not have to exit the country. But anyways, I spoke to my manager and he said that I would have to exit the country on my own expense or pay 1800/- again out of my pocket. I do not have this much funds ATM, and my previous employer had payed for them when applying for my initial visa. Anything that you might suggest to do that does not disturb my budget.
Your employer should pay for this!
In any case it should not cost 1800 Dhs. You can take a Rotana Jet (or Oman Air or Fly Dubai) flight to Oman and back for probably 500-700 Dhs. Or you can take a slight to Delhi and back, and even that will cost less than 1800 Dhs (if you take Indigo, probably 1000 Dhs for return flights depending on the date).

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
it is up to your company to pay your visa fees - they would have known that you were already resident in the UAE before they hired you (it will be stated on your CV employment history).
Therefore - whatever costs they incur to get your new visa need to be paid by them (it is part of UAE labour law).
If the PRO cannot arrange a new visa without you leaving and re-entering the country - then your company will need to purchase a ticket to a place of their choice.
If you don't believe us - then contact the Ministry of Labour and let your company know that you have done this.
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's either flying out and back in, or AED1800 (which is the amount set by GDRFA, not the company) for transferring while in the country.

Most companies prefer to give a round trip ticket as it's much cheaper than the 1800.

That said, I always wondered why they have this rule of going out and back in, legally. Anyone knows? Just imagine the carbon footprint of a person undergoing visa change!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm curious, why can't they do the Hatta visa run?

Also, I just checked Flydubai website. A return ticket to Muscat can be had for around 300 AED.

It's either flying out and back in, or AED1800 (which is the amount set by GDRFA, not the company) for transferring while in the country.

Most companies prefer to give a round trip ticket as it's much cheaper than the 1800.

That said, I always wondered why they have this rule of going out and back in, legally. Anyone knows? Just imagine the carbon footprint of a person undergoing visa change!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I'm curious, why can't they do the Hatta visa run?

Also, I just checked Flydubai website. A return ticket to Muscat can be had for around 300 AED.
The Hatta visa run requires entry into Oman which of course would require an advance visa (for some nationalities) or if eligible a visa on arrival - this is the reason the OP would most likely be unable to do it by road.

For the air route it may well be feasible, is it possible to do a turn-around at Seeb airport without actually having to go through inward immigration?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Aha, thanks! I knew there must be a reason, otherwise everyone would be doing that...

The Hatta visa run requires entry into Oman which of course would require an advance visa (for some nationalities) or if eligible a visa on arrival - this is the reason the OP would most likely be unable to do it by road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I must add that I have obtained a cancellation stamp from my previous employer for my residential visa. Would the new employer be able to apply my visa without me having to waste time in India. So that I could visit any nearby airports and just do a visa run with me having my new visa with me. If that makes any sense

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I must add that I have obtained a cancellation stamp from my previous employer for my residential visa. Would the new employer be able to apply my visa without me having to waste time in India. So that I could visit any nearby airports and just do a visa run with me having my new visa with me. If that makes any sense
1. Yes. The new employer can apply for the visa. Once the entry permit is issued, you will need to leave and come back. You can stay in UAE during this time. Your employer should already know about this
2. You do not need to spend time anywhere. Once you have the entry permit, you can fly to Oman and not enter Oman and literally come back on the same flight. You can do this in Delhi as well, but I am not sure (or have no experience or anecdotes) as to whether you need to cross the immigration or not. You can call up any airline and ask them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well to update this thread, I did get the visa done (yay), but had to pay the fees above from my pocket (boo) and I recently got my passport back. However, the company is now asking for my passport back to be kept with them. Should I proceed, as I read that such practice is not allowed anymore !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well to update this thread, I did get the visa done (yay), but had to pay the fees above from my pocket (boo) and I recently got my passport back. However, the company is now asking for my passport back to be kept with them. Should I proceed, as I read that such practice is not allowed anymore !
No.

They have no right to keep your passport with them.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
As above - under no circumstances should you give them your passport.
Even when you eventually get your current visa cancelled - just go with the PRO to the immigration department and handover the passport yourself.
I never let third parties keep my passport.
I am its custodian and it is the property of the UK passport office!
Cheers
Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts