Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I came here in May on 457 visa and applied for 189 skilled independent visa on 12th June which is still under assessment. When I lodged the 189 application, I was automatically granted a bridging Visa A (WA - worked allowed) which is not active at the moment as I already hold 457 substantive visa.

I have been offered many jobs ever since I came but i am reluctant to change 457 nomination as it could take upto 8 weeks and I cannot afford to be jobless for that long a period and so sticking with current job which is quite good but mainly evening and weekend shifts.

I am thinking of really accepting a new job that has been on offer for sometime. I would like to just quit my current job with due process and join the new one. As I already have a bridging visa with work allowed, my understanding is I can work for new employer. The worse could happen is the border office will cancel my 457 visa (which can take 60 days from the time they are notified by previous employer). Even if they do so my Bridging Visa A will get activated allowing me work.

In case if I have to visit abroad, I could apply for bridging visa B (travel allowed). What does the panel say?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
So I came here in May on 457 visa and applied for 189 skilled independent visa on 12th June which is still under assessment. When I lodged the 189 application, I was automatically granted a bridging Visa A (WA - worked allowed) which is not active at the moment as I already hold 457 substantive visa.

I have been offered many jobs ever since I came but i am reluctant to change 457 nomination as it could take upto 8 weeks and I cannot afford to be jobless for that long a period and so sticking with current job which is quite good but mainly evening and weekend shifts.

I am thinking of really accepting a new job that has been on offer for sometime. I would like to just quit my current job with due process and join the new one. As I already have a bridging visa with work allowed, my understanding is I can work for new employer. The worse could happen is the border office will cancel my 457 visa (which can take 60 days from the time they are notified by previous employer). Even if they do so my Bridging Visa A will get activated allowing me work.

In case if I have to visit abroad, I could apply for bridging visa B (travel allowed). What does the panel say?
Isn't a bridging visa for if another visa runs out, not if you breach the conditions?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Reactions: navahmed

·
Registered
577 Posts

As far as my understanding of 457 goes, changing employer without changing the nomination will result in cancellation of the Visa. You BVA is dependent on your current substantive Visa; which if cancelled, will have an impact on your BVA as well. You BVA can come into effect only if your current visa was still valid till the date of its expiry.

If you really are looking forward to the new job, maybe changing the nomination wont be such an issue after all.

I would suggest you take advice from a registered MARA agent before proceeding.

Yes if you plant to visit abroad you can apply for BVB; however, that wont be necessary till your 457 is in effect.

Reactions: navahmed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not a licensed agent, so cannot give you advice on visa issues. When does the 457 expire?
It will expire in sep 2018 and not sure when will i get the PR grant through 189 (and if).
what will happen if I resign from my job? my 457 visa will get nullified and then bridging visa should get activated and will last till a decision on 189 application is made.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as my understanding of 457 goes, changing employer without changing the nomination will result in cancellation of the Visa. You BVA is dependent on your current substantive Visa; which if cancelled, will have an impact on your BVA as well. You BVA can come into effect only if your current visa was still valid till the date of its expiry.

If you really are looking forward to the new job, maybe changing the nomination wont be such an issue after all.

I would suggest you take advice from a registered MARA agent before proceeding.

Yes if you plant to visit abroad you can apply for BVB; however, that wont be necessary till your 457 is in effect.
How long the change in nomination will take please? I heard it could be 8 weeks. My understanding is I cannot apply for change of nomination until I resign from my current job and hence potentially spend 8 weeks without any income! I wish it was possible for me to continue to work for old employer till the nomination process is completed/hand-over happens.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It will expire in sep 2018 and not sure when will i get the PR grant through 189 (and if).

what will happen if I resign from my job? my 457 visa will get nullified and then bridging visa should get activated and will last till a decision on 189 application is made.

It doesn’t work that way. Your BVA isn’t a substantive visa in itself. It merely extends your stay in Aus after your previous one expires. In doing that, it applies all the conditions which were imposed on your previous visa. Employment restriction amongst one of them.
If you resign now, or even after the BVA is active, for that matter, you may lose your visa as you will be breaching the employment condition.

It would still suggest you take advice from a registered MARA agent.

Also, look up the internet for 457 change of nomination, or call DIBP for further clarification about the processing times, as well as whether you need to resign from current job before changing the nomination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts