Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No more GPS, satellite radio, etc.

I would be interested to see if anyone here gets pulled over for this

Use of screens on the front panel of the vehicle that are not part of the original design of the unit, mobile devices , computers , PDAs , radios , tablets , and global positioning systems are prohibited. Fines of 65-323 peso's .

http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisc...-de-manos-libres-y-leer-mapas-al-conducir.htm

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my friend who is a native Spanish speaker interpret it:

Wow. That’s a crazy regulation. It seems that it’s only in effect in Jalisco state.

For what I read, it applies only to the driver, so I guess the GPS should be on the passenger side, and out of sight, preferably.

For the comments that I read, people are mad with the new law, and they think it’s another money grab scheme from the government.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
People everywhere in the world gets mad when a new law passes, I have just read the news about the new law and my opinion, as a car, pickup truck and motorcycle/scooter driver...
The law is not crazy
My reasons:
People should not, SHOULD NOT, get distracted by screens, radios, reading a map, looking for something, actioning the cigarette lighter, anything. We sometimes don't consider that we are in a moving and HEAVY vehicle, and there are other people, pedestrians, scooters, motorcycles, bicycles and other vehicles around, we think we are super heroes with a multitask ability but that is very much far from the truth.
For instance, if you ride a bicycle, or even worse, a scooter, you don't get many chances to get distracted before getting hurt, you should keep your eyes on the road, to see where you are going and just in case of dogs passing by, pedestrians, a soccer ball followed by a kid, etc.
Cars are more serious, they are much heavier and can cause much more damage.
Not all people have Schummacher's driving abilities or reflexes, some are older, wear glasses, are tired, angry, sad, sleepy, drunk...and then, on top of this, they want to take a look at something else, a screen, a map, make a phone call, yes, I can do this, no problem.

Today, GPS's talk, same with cell phones and a bluetooth system, there is no need for actually see a screen.
When I ride my scooter, almost every day, I honk at car drivers who are texting or using the cell phone, my horn is wearing out, and those people jump startled because they were much more concentrated on the darn thing than in driving, and of course, they get mad and throw one or two bad words on me! Like I'm the idiot misbehaving!

In a strict sense, it is a good law

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure distraction is one thing, but i for example have a rear view camera which allows me to see behind my RV and I also have a tire pressure monitor which warns me if I have a flat on my inside dual or trailer. Is that a safety hazard? I think not, however I could be nailed in Jalisco for having either.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sure distraction is one thing, but i for example have a rear view camera which allows me to see behind my RV and I also have a tire pressure monitor which warns me if I have a flat on my inside dual or trailer. Is that a safety hazard? I think not, however I could be nailed in Jalisco for having either.
Yours is an exemption and should be handled accordingly
You may get a special permit at TRANSITO offices

·
Super Moderator
9,006 Posts
I just asked, you may as well make an AMPARO, send me a PM if you want
I see the word "amparo" used a lot in news stories involving legal matters. What exactly is an amparo? Does it have an equivalent, I wonder, in US law?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
So Gary65, what is meant by front panel, maybe I can suction cup it to my windshield and obscure my line of site.......or lay it on my center consul???????
Front panel should be the dashboard, but I would think as far as the police officers don't see the devices, you'll be Ok

If you install something in your windshield I bet you will get a ticket

But really, if you guys just have to have something there, get an amparo, I know a lawyer here that can draw up the document and you can take it to the juzgados, get your amparo and be on the safe line

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Whoops. I accidentally clicked "like" on the original post because I was reading it on my touchscreen and was trying to move the screen and touched like. Please disregard. Is there any way to reverse an accidental like?

I think the closest term to amparo in this context would be "legal exemption"? I'm presuming, Gary, that you apply for the amparo prior to having a problem, not an appeal after the fact. Correct?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Whoops. I accidentally clicked "like" on the original post because I was reading it on my touchscreen and was trying to move the screen and touched like. Please disregard. Is there any way to reverse an accidental like?

I think the closest term to amparo in this context would be "legal exemption"? I'm presuming, Gary, that you apply for the amparo prior to having a problem, not an appeal after the fact. Correct?
You are correct on that, you get a lawyer to draw one up for you, get the court to issue one and whenever you get in trouble, you use it.
Very useful

·
Super Moderator
9,006 Posts
Not sure. Will attempt to find out from the Expat Forum powers-that-be and let you know.

·
Super Moderator
9,006 Posts
This should do it, according to Super-Mod jojo:

"Yes, when you click on the "like" button, it changes and says "unlike" - if you click on it, it takes the "like" away."

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
This should do it, according to Super-Mod jojo:

"Yes, when you click on the "like" button, it changes and says "unlike" - if you click on it, it takes the "like" away."
Thanks for looking into this, Isla. I actually tried that, since that's how it works on Facebook, and it didn't work. The like button was just faded out, and it didn't say unlike. But not to worry. I just have to be more careful when using my touchscreen.

·
Registered
501 Posts
People everywhere in the world gets mad when a new law passes, I have just read the news about the new law and my opinion, as a car, pickup truck and motorcycle/scooter driver...
The law is not crazy
My reasons:
People should not, SHOULD NOT, get distracted by screens, radios, reading a map, looking for something, actioning the cigarette lighter, anything. We sometimes don't consider that we are in a moving and HEAVY vehicle, and there are other people, pedestrians, scooters, motorcycles, bicycles and other vehicles around, we think we are super heroes with a multitask ability but that is very much far from the truth.
For instance, if you ride a bicycle, or even worse, a scooter, you don't get many chances to get distracted before getting hurt, you should keep your eyes on the road, to see where you are going and just in case of dogs passing by, pedestrians, a soccer ball followed by a kid, etc.
Cars are more serious, they are much heavier and can cause much more damage.
Not all people have Schummacher's driving abilities or reflexes, some are older, wear glasses, are tired, angry, sad, sleepy, drunk...and then, on top of this, they want to take a look at something else, a screen, a map, make a phone call, yes, I can do this, no problem.

Today, GPS's talk, same with cell phones and a bluetooth system, there is no need for actually see a screen.
When I ride my scooter, almost every day, I honk at car drivers who are texting or using the cell phone, my horn is wearing out, and those people jump startled because they were much more concentrated on the darn thing than in driving, and of course, they get mad and throw one or two bad words on me! Like I'm the idiot misbehaving!

In a strict sense, it is a good law
I'm with you. The other day here in Zihuatanejo, I witnessed a 125 cc scooter with Pop driving, oldest son standing between his legs, Mom sitting on the back seat, holding the newest addition to the family - none wearing helmets - and Dad holding the accelerator in one hand and his cellphone held up to his ear with the other.

Also reminds me of a feat of dexterity I viewed a few years ago: one of those gaz cylinder delivery guys "walking" a 5 ft. tall gas cylinder with one finger, while talking on his cellphone with the other hand. Guy should have been in a circus.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.