Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a quick question aimed at the computer savvy amongst you, I am just about to sign up for a new DU connection on my new apartment and I have read that it doesn't come with a router??

Is it just as simple as buying a router, plugging it in and away I go or am I going to be struggling on the phone with (lack of) customer services fault finding for days inputting a million and 1 settings?

Is there an optimal router to buy for easy install?

any advice appreciated.:)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Its not like the UK where you have a phone line and have to get an ADSL modem - there's a modem already in or near your house, and you're simply going to plug into an activated wall socket. As Stevieboy says, if you want wireless, then any wireless router will do.

If you don;t want wireless, then plug the ethernet connection on your computer straight into the socket.

The installation guy will probably ask you which sockets you want activated in the property.

·
Registered
253 Posts
All above is correct though I would expect Du to supply one unless it's a very cheap deal. In the short term you can share the wired connection from the laptop that's plugged in through wifi (it's a pain long term as you always need that computer turned on). DM for details if you like.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
make sure you activate as many sockets as you can! you may think that one (or two) is enough, but better to have the option of moving your stuff to a different room if you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my DU Connection installed yesterday. Got the Surf & Talk package. Seems pretty good. 16MB Speed, landline and tv with 31 premium channels. Also got a router with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts