Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently moved to Melbourne alone, and presently looking for suitable place for my family before I get them to the country from India. I need some help to understand a few things:

1) I have two kids (1 and 3), thus need to know a good place to find rental accommodation. I am looking for a decent size compound or society, that may have a playground/park within society compound where children can play safely. Not sure if such societies exists in Melbourne, and if yes are they very costly or still affordable. If it does not, then all I am looking for is a safe place where my kids and family can play/stay/move-around safely while I am away at job.

2) The above question, also accomplishes the need of living in a suburb/place-in-city which is safe especially from kids perspective. Also, it is my understanding that my elder son can only go to a kindergarten (which differs from India, where he is already going to a Nursery in a school). And kindergarten are available nearby at many localities, so I am not giving that as a preference while looking out for accommodation.

Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Saurabh

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "compound or society" - are you looking for a gated community? Or are you just talking about a residential suburb? What is your budget? How far from the CBD are you willing to travel? Are you looking for a house or can you live in an apartment? Melbourne is a very safe city even in the more inner suburbs, which are obviously busier, so I don't think you need to worry about finding playgrounds or parks for your kids to play in wherever you end up. The issue ultimately is going to be how much you're willing to spend and the size/distance from CBD trade-off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you are correct. I am looking for a gated community, as a preferential requirement. I'd be looking for something close to $400p/w and I am fine to travel a few kms from CBD (say within 45 minutes travel).. House or apartment, both are fine as long as they serve the purpose. So precisely, instead of taking kids to a park - there are gated compounds that have in-built parks/play-spaces for kids to interact and play. I agree, that Melbourne is a safe city however you do have certain rough areas as some of West suburbs but then I am not aware of all rough areas in/around the city. Do let me know, if the above information makes some sense and might be informative for you to provide me with some pointers. Thank You

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You know that most neighbourhoods here have "built-in parks and play spaces" and are not gated right?

Yes, some of the western suburbs have some issues - Sunshine, Broadmeadows etc. But the eastern and southern suburbs are some of the nicest in the city.

In any case, I think I remember hearing about a gated community in Point Cook with a security force etc. You obviously have to pay extra for those services but I suggest you do some Google searching to see what's available - I think it's called Sanctuary Lakes. Have a look on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au for more information on prices. Gated communities are not very common here (unlike the US).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts