Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to this site. I currently live in Minnesota but am really hoping to make Australia home for my kids and I. I am an RN so I understand this is helpful to me in gaining visa status. It has always been a dream of mine to go there, and I figure there is no time like the present! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to meeting new people!:plane:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Bre,

Check out Australia's Dept of Immigration & Citizenship website at immi.gov.au as a start to review the different visas available. Then post again with your questions. There is a lot of information. However, you should be aware that there is a big change happening to the skilled migration program that will take effect July 2012.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I will check out the link. I had just read about some big changes and do need more information. Hopefully I will find it there. If I understand correctly it is going to become more difficult. Have you lived there long? I imagine it is an arduous process getting there but oh so worth it!
Thanks again for the info I really appreciate it!
Bre

·
Registered
351 Posts
I haven't actually moved yet. I was granted visa 175 after submitting the application and all the requirements. I was expecting for the visa to take longer to be processed from the information I was sent. It only to

·
Registered
351 Posts
6 months to be granted the visa. That was before a new change to the program in July 2010. With the SkillSet program, you submit your Expression of Interest to DIAC. You can only apply if you are invited. So in a way depending on the demand of your skilled occupation, it can take a long time. Or that person will not get invited. Your EOI stays with DIAC 2 yrs from the date you lodge it. You can update with new skills or work experience that may increase your chance of being invited. More details about this program is explained on the website.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Welcome to this forum..This is THE BEST forum to get started with your application.You will get loads of info and good advice here..

you can start off by reading the sticky notes wherein the application procedure is given..
RN is one of the hottest fields around and if you can get the assessment done then this is definitely the best time to apply...Visas are being granted at record pace..
find out your occupation code from the SOL lists..

and then you need to get your degree,work assessment assessed by the relevant authorities.. in all probability you will not have to give IELTS bcoz you are from USA.

I'm a newbie to this site. I currently live in Minnesota but am really hoping to make Australia home for my kids and I. I am an RN so I understand this is helpful to me in gaining visa status. It has always been a dream of mine to go there, and I figure there is no time like the present! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to meeting new people!:plane:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.