Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my quick introduction and if you have any ideas/suggestions I'm open to listen. I've just recently started to think about making a change in my life and it has led me here to seek new adventures. A little about myself, I'm 25 living in the US with a background in IT. I've done everything from basic entry level Help Desk to a Systems Engineer working with hundreds of proprietary equipment/systems and Windows servers. I'm currently in the Telecommunications industry working with Cisco equipment. I have never traveled outside the country. The biggest issues I see so far from my reading is getting a job in another country without a degree. Here in the US I was lucky enough to be given opportunities to prove myself as a hard worker and someone able to adapt with no degree in the field. I only speak English at the moment, but willing to become fluent in any language. I would definitely take another entry level position if that is the route I would need to take. I'm open to other jobs if IT work is not possible. I'm not interested in South America, Africa, or anywhere with a harsh winter.

Is there any way I would be able to find IT work?
If no, what other jobs do you suggest?
What country would you suggest?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Eric, you're right in that jobseeking without a degree makes your search more difficult. As well, starting your search from abroad compounds the difficulty. Getting a work permit in most countries depends on having the skills necessary to entice an employer to sponsor your visa. They don't do that for entry-level workers when they can simply hire local students or local new graduates who don't come with hiring costs and paperwork. If you want to work abroad, my best advice is to look for a degree program in your field of interest in a country that you think you'll enjoy living in. Make sure it's one of the countries that lets you work in said country after graduating. For instance, I'm American, attended a university in Montreal, Canada, and was granted a 3-year work permit after graduation. Although foreign students are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week there, I was able to make money with jobs under the table to pay my way. But, I did have to prove that I could support myself financially while in Canada before being granted the student visa. I suspect the same will be true of most countries. In my case, luckily my parents were willing to be my guarantors.

Try to narrow your focus and think about getting qualifications abroad. Countries are more open to foreign workers when those workers have studied in the target country prior to trying to work there. Good luck to you. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts