Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! :wave:

I'm looking to move from Arizona, USA to Australia very soon. I came across this site while doing a Google search for 'Australian Forums', so I decided to sign up and see what kind of info I could get here. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Would it be difficult for an American fireman to get a job as a fireman in Australia?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

Each state has it's own fire brigade / services website for example Recruitment - NSW Fire Brigades. There are also Metropolitan Fire Services (cities) and Country Fire Services (regional areas).

I know that police officers are brought from the UK to Oz but I've not heard of the same thing happening with fire fighters and there wasn't anything on the websites I looked at.

Do you have any other skills that could get you in? There are sticky posts towards the top of the forum with links to skills in demand to see if there are other ways to get into the country (and then you could apply for a fire fighter position).

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karen,
Thanks for the reply. I have been to the above website that you posted above. Looks like I need to do more research. Yes, I do have other skill's. I need to look and see if any of them are on the list.

Scott

·
Registered
619 Posts
Karen,
Thanks for the reply. I have been to the above website that you posted above. Looks like I need to do more research. Yes, I do have other skill's. I need to look and see if any of them are on the list.

Scott
Welcome to the forum! Can't help you much on the fireman front, but good luck in your quest to move down under.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure if I would or not. I've been looking at the Official immigration, pet, and fire brigade pages for the last few month's. It seem's that you need to be an Inspector for that position. Officer position's here in the US are different. I do have my Part 1 Fire Inspector from the state of Arizona. I also have my state Firefighter-I from California, among many many other firefighter certification's. I've been a FF since January 2001. I'm not really sure how interchangeable alot of these cert's would be in a foriegn country. I should call, but I have no idea how to even call Australia.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I should call, but I have no idea how to even call Australia.
Step 1) Make sure you have a good international calling plan on your phone, otherwise it will get expensive.

Step 2) To call AU, if the phone number looks like the following:

02 9265 2999

Then dial this:

011-61-2-9265-2999

011 = the code for international dialing from US
61 = country code for AU
notice that the 0 has been stripped from the 02 in the phone number. Might be worth dropping a line to fire departments to see if they can offer advice. Also remember they are a day ahead, so make your calls Sun-Thur, not Mon-Fri.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts