Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, thank you for all the information I've been reading for the past few months.

I've been living in Abu Dhabi for about 4 months now. I will be living here for 2+ years. So far, the only problem I have found has been getting a solid answer on what it actually costs to bring a vehicle from the states. I've been able to get shipping quotes, but there is very little information on this end. I will start another thread in the correct section once I have some information from a few co-workers that will be receiving their vehicles this week.

Thanks again
L2M

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a vested interest in bringing my own vehicle because it is new, and because the same truck here is fairly expensive. I am currently making a payment on my truck in the states and renting a vehicle thru Hurts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi l2m welcome to this forum! I'm a newbie here too and I was wondering the same question as shel right there. I don't know but I think it's going to be really expensive if you do that. But I hope someone answers your question. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

To keep it simple, I am renting a car until my truck arrives.

I have several goals which I would like to accomplish before my 2 year commitment is finished. I fully plan on staying indefinitely, but I'm sticking to the actual time frame that I am contractually obligated to for planning purposes and goals.

I bought a new truck in the US right before accepting this job, I had an excellent job, but this offer came completely unexpected... So, I have a new truck at home and I am renting an accord in UAE. A new vehicle sitting in the states in counter-productive to what I am trying to accomplish(actually, it was financially counter-productive to buy it in the first place, but I celebrated my military retirement with a new vehicle anyway.)
I guess everyone has their reasons to work away from home, mine is money...I am beyond tired of 'treading water' by paying taxes and trying to pay off a home with a 30 year mortgage and put kids thru college.
On this particular contract, my company pays for housing and utilities...and a few other benefits, so I am taking advantage and trying to reach my goals.
___ # of months to have all my credit cards paid off.
___ # of months to have my vehicles paid off
___# of months to have my home in the states paid off
___# of months to have my sons college expenses covered
___# months to have a nest egg so when I wish to return to the states, I wont give a damn about the current economy.
My goal was initially 2 years...that was unrealistic. I turn 41 in June and I would like to have these current goals completed or very near completion before I turn 45. Will it happen? Maybe...maybe not, but I will adjust accordingly so my wife and I can enjoy Life and see parts of the world that we've never seen before....she's never been out of the US, so we have a lot of items on our 'bucket list'.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Rebecca. Really looking forward to my family coming, they have never been overseas before, so it will be a really great experience for all of us. Luckily, I am in UAE which seems so many times better than other countries I've lived in.
Thanks again,
Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Jeff! I'm getting curious about UAE now. People have been asking me why I want to relocate to the UK now that the economy there is not doing good while I'm living nicely here in the land of oz. Can you tell me more about UAE? Or have you been to a thread already posting this? Thank you! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rebecca, I can't consider myself a resident expert on living in UAE, I can only compare it to other places that I've lived...which I was in the military and not an expat, so there is a small difference.

As for living in Abu Dhabi, I think its great compared to places like Saudi, Kuwait, and Qatar. It seems to me that the overall experience here has been very positive. The heat is really the only issue, but that doesn't bother me.
Things I like about it...
Housing is paid by my company, so I can't complain...the workmanship is poor and the housing is expensive at $3500 USD, but it is also 3500 square feet(way too much house for me).
Airport is easy to navigate and painless.
Dubai is only one hour away.
Shopping...I can buy anything I need here...sometimes you gotta do a lot of research.
Mail from the states if simple and not expensive unless you are in a hurry.
Driving, traffic circles and the typical driving habits of the locals are the same as where I used to live and not as bad a Kuwait or Saudi.
There are a multitude of things to do.
Airline tickets thru Etihad(sp?) can be had for a bargain to the US and other places during the off-peak season.
LAs a whole, the Emirates are cordial and are very easy to get along with, their inner circle is hard to crack, but they seem very genuine and respectful.
The exchange rate is very similar to what I pay for items back in the US, vehicles appear to be about 20% higher than I am accustomed too.
Hotels here are great.
I can dress 'normal' and not feel out of place.
For the most part, I don't feel like I am being treated any different because I am an expat.
There is an expat community here, but I haven't been real active in it.
Drivers license was fairly easy to get.
Car insurance is Much less expensive than back home.
No sales tax on every purchase like back home.
Simple traffic rules and traffic cameras are plainly marked.
Beautiful beach.
Fishing trips
Scuba certifications.
Food from back home can be found at local spots.
Medical & dental are easy to find and supported by my insurance.

I could go on and on, and as I said before, a lot of these points may be just as good in other countries...but I can only compare it to what I have experienced while I was in the military.
I will have many points to share when my wife arrives...til then, I'm back to pinching my wallet...and I honestly want to share a lot of my first experiences with my wife.

Thanks for the intrest
Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I was a little off on the "Clearly Marked Traffic Cameras". lol The last Al Ain camera before you enter Abu Dhabi got me a ticket.

I just hit 10 months here and I still feel the same about UAE. I Like it, its as good as any place I have ever lived. I like it enough to where my wife will be moving here with me.

Regardless where you are at, make the best of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts