Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a confusion regarding English requirements for spouse visa.

I hold a Masters Degree from the UK. I want to know if I can use this as an evidence of English language skills. The UKBA website says that any degree considered acceptable by NARIC is sufficient, but NARIC does not give any information on UK based qualifications. Therefore I am not sure if I can use this or not.

If I do need to take a test, which one is the best option? Does IELTS UKVI academic satisfy the requirements for spouse visa as well, (as I can use this later for other academic/job purpose) or do I need to apply fr the 'Skills for Life' test anyway?

Please advise asap.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
NARIC is for evaluating foreign qualifications against UK standards... i.e. if I had an History Degree from the University of Tokyo (in Japan) and wanted to apply to do a Masters degree at Oxford, I would go to NARIC to have them evaluate my degree so that I could prove that it (the Japanese degree) was equivalent to UK standards.

As you have a Masters degree from the UK (and good on you for it), you have met the English language requirement. Your degree is from the UK, so the UKBA will accept it as is, no questions asked.

From the guidance*, I refer you to the following passage

THOSE WHO HAVE OBTAINED AN ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION

You will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification if you have
obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised
standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and either:

(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in
English; or

(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the United Kingdom or a majority
English speaking country as listed below (other than Canada).

Please note that you still need to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate your
knowledge of life in the UK. ...
* The guidance referenced is from current information for Naturalisation, but can be construed to be acceptable for the current Spouse Visa as well, given that the standards for judging academic qualifications is the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. Can you please send me the document which has this information. I cant find it on the net!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your degree was taught or researched in English
You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.

Your degree will need to be confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK, if it was taken in another country.

You’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

Do I need a letter/certificate form the university?
The point based calculator does not give us an option for spouse visa, how do I fill that. I checked it in another category and my degree does give me 10 points. But I dont know how to print this!

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
As your Masters was from a UK university, all you need is your original degree certificate. No NARIC, no letter from university or PBS calculator printout required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.