Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I read on the UKBA wesite that new changes have been implemented from October 2013.

I will apply for my UK spouse visa this October, I just want to make sure is the following about the knowledge of UK LIFE concerns to my situation?? Its the first time i will apply for visas.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...tatementsofchanges/2013/hc628.pdf?view=Binary

Changes relating to Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK
7.27 Unless exempt, applicants for indefinite
leave to remain are required to demonstrate
their knowledge of English language
and life in the UK. The pr
ovision aims to ensure that
migrants intending to live permanently in the
UK have sufficient English language skills and
knowledge of life in the UK to equip them to in
teract with the wider community and thus aid
their integration.
7.28 Under the previous arrangements, it was
possible to qualify for indefinite leave to
remain with a low level of spoken English and
without passing the Life in the UK test. As
announced by the Home Secretary in her Statem
ent of Intent on 8 April, changes are being
made to the knowledge of language and life requ
irement to ensure that all applicants can
communicate orally at a level equivalent to
B1 on the Common European Framework of
Reference for Languages and to require applican
ts to demonstrate their knowledge of UK life
by passing the Life in the UK test. B1 is the firs
t independent level of language at which an
applicant can communicate in a va
riety of situations and express their opinions on a range of
topics. Provision is being made to accept a wi
de range of English language qualifications to
enable applicants to study English
in a way which suits individual needs.

Thank you in advance. Greetings :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hello,

I read on the UKBA wesite that new changes have been implemented from October 2013.

I will apply for my UK spouse visa this October, I just want to make sure is the following about the knowledge of UK LIFE concerns to my situation?? Its the first time i will apply for visas.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...tatementsofchanges/2013/hc628.pdf?view=Binary

Changes relating to Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK
7.27 Unless exempt, applicants for indefinite
leave to remain are required to demonstrate
their knowledge of English language
and life in the UK. The pr
ovision aims to ensure that
migrants intending to live permanently in the
UK have sufficient English language skills and
knowledge of life in the UK to equip them to in
teract with the wider community and thus aid
their integration.
7.28 Under the previous arrangements, it was
possible to qualify for indefinite leave to
remain with a low level of spoken English and
without passing the Life in the UK test. As
announced by the Home Secretary in her Statem
ent of Intent on 8 April, changes are being
made to the knowledge of language and life requ
irement to ensure that all applicants can
communicate orally at a level equivalent to
B1 on the Common European Framework of
Reference for Languages and to require applican
ts to demonstrate their knowledge of UK life
by passing the Life in the UK test. B1 is the firs
t independent level of language at which an
applicant can communicate in a va
riety of situations and express their opinions on a range of
topics. Provision is being made to accept a wi
de range of English language qualifications to
enable applicants to study English
in a way which suits individual needs.

Thank you in advance. Greetings :)
If you are applying for your first spousal settlement visa, it is for 2.5 years, then you reapply for the second 2.5 years (FLR - Further Leave to Remain). After that, you apply for ILR - Indefinite Leave to Remain which is when you have to take the Life in the UK test (under current rules). This doesn't apply to you at this point and who knows what the requirement will be in 5 years?

If you are American, you are not exempt from the English language requirement, but we meet it by being citizens of a primarily English-speaking country. The exact phrase is on the website. That would be how you want to answer that question on your application.

Good luck!
Laurel

Reactions: USAgirls

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thank you for your reply!!
I am glad i don't need to do the life in the UK test yet!
Thank you I now understand how the 2 periods of 2 2/2 years work, and that's when i will have to do the life in the UK test, am i correct?

Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hello,

Thank you for your reply!!
I am glad i don't need to do the life in the UK test yet!
Thank you I now understand how the 2 periods of 2 2/2 years work, and that's when i will have to do the life in the UK test, am i correct?

Thank you for your help :)
You're very welcome!

Yes, as it states in the beginning of the very first sentence - "applicants for indefinite leave to remain". That is the third part of the whole visa process that grants you the right to live in the UK indefinitely, and also allows you to freely travel in and out, without restriction on time out of the country. Prior to being granted that, you have to be careful to not be absent out of the UK for any long periods. I don't remember the exact number of days off the top of my head, but there have been other posts about that.

Since I have only just received my first part of the visa, I haven't studied up on the exact requirements for later. Still getting ready for my move next week. :) Right now, the thought of studying and taking the Life in the UK test is overwhelming as I have great difficulty remembering details and dates. I'm just going to start trying to learn it as soon as I get there and make it part of my life so I can try to be ready when the time comes. As it gets closer, I will obtain the then current study guides etc., and really concentrate on it. I'm sure there will be changes, so there is no need to be overly concerned now, but aware. It is my intention to go for naturalization, so my husband's country is now my country and I need to assimilate into the community as much as possible.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
You're very welcome!

Yes, as it states in the beginning of the very first sentence - "applicants for indefinite leave to remain". That is the third part of the whole visa process that grants you the right to live in the UK indefinitely, and also allows you to freely travel in and out, without restriction on time out of the country. Prior to being granted that, you have to be careful to not be absent out of the UK for any long periods. I don't remember the exact number of days off the top of my head, but there have been other posts about that.
For the record, even with settled status (ILR), you mustn't be absent from UK longer than 2 years, or you may not be accepted as returning resident. And before you get ILR, there is no set number of days you can be absent from UK - only that UK remains your home and is centre of your activities. Holidays and business trips are fine, but taking a year or two out to work abroad, unconnected with your UK job, may not be. There are limits for naturalisation - 270 days in 3 years and 90 days in the last 12 months prior to application. So it's possible to be approved for ILR but not for naturalisation, so beware.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you WaterDragon and Joppa for all the info. It is really important to know about all these regulations for the future if i get my spouse visa. The application date is getting very close... i am eager and anxious.

Thank you again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.