Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheers to the Platypus Den!

My name's Kate and I'm the reigning matriarch of my little family of five. We're going to be moving from the US to Gladstone, QLD in June or July of this year. My husband's company is sending us for at least 2 years. So I'm here on the Expat Forum to learn, make new contacts and do what I can to help us make the move and settle in smoothly.

Just wanted to say hello while I look around. I'm sure I'll have an assortment of questions at some point, but right now the fact that we're going to actually move to Australia is still sinking in!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Kate

How's the move going? Have you got a definite date yet?

We moved here from Scotland at the end of February due to my husbands work. Gladstone is a nice place but seriously lacking in shopping :( Just before we moved I found out I was pregnant (currently 24 weeks) and I have struggled to meet people if I'm being honest. We have made some friends via my husbands work and when we go out everyone is friendly and chats away however I haven't met anyone else in my predicament. I haven't been working due the pregnancy and although there are plenty of mums and bubs groups there are no antenatel classes, antenatel exercise classes etc so I've just been enjoying the sun and waiting for baby.........

Not sure how much you know about Gladstone and the surrounding area but if there anything you want to know I can try help out :)

Hope to hear fom you soon, Louisa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Julie,

Settling in fine mostly, although not too impressed with the weather today!!:eek:

How are you enjoying all that Gladstone has to offer? Where was it you moved from? And where are you living in Gladstone?

Hope to speak soon, Lou :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Lou,
Sorry for the late reply, we have been away for the school hols.
We moved here from Abu Dhabi in the Middle East, lived there for 17 years, though not sure how that happened!
Hmmmm Gladstone...I find my days very busy, but thats mostly thanks to my two children, they are at school (aged 6&8) though I seem to spend my days cleaning up after them all!
We have a house in Mooloolaba so tend to head down the Bruce Highway at any given chance, long weekends, school hols, just love the normality there!
We first lived in Glen Eden when we arrived but my hubby and children were eaten alive by sand flies and mossies, hence we moved to Kin Kora!
Where are you living and how are you finding Gladstone? :eek:)
Julie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Julie,

Can seem to post on this - this will be my 5th attempt and if it doesn't work the laptop will be out the window!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: Pretty sure its my fault not the site :confused:

Email me direct so I can try replying that way if you don't mind..........

(at least that way a draft will save and all my typing won't be wasted)

ta, Lou x

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Kate! How are you settling into life in Gladstone? My family is moving there late November and will stay for 3 yrs. I have three girls, 6yr, 3yr and a newborn,and I'm really struggling with which school to send them to. Have your kids started school? How are you liking it? Our company will cover the cost of private school, so we''re considering St. Stephens, St John's and Trinity. It's really hard deciding when you can't visit the school before hand and don't know anyone who goes there! Any opinions you have on the schools would be greatly appreciated.

If you'd rather send me a personal email.... Oh, the site won't let me post my email address..

Hope you're enjoying it there!!!

Colleen

Cheers to the Platypus Den!

My name's Kate and I'm the reigning matriarch of my little family of five. We're going to be moving from the US to Gladstone, QLD in June or July of this year. My husband's company is sending us for at least 2 years. So I'm here on the Expat Forum to learn, make new contacts and do what I can to help us make the move and settle in smoothly.

Just wanted to say hello while I look around. I'm sure I'll have an assortment of questions at some point, but right now the fact that we're going to actually move to Australia is still sinking in!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kate! How are you settling into life in Gladstone? My family is moving there late November and will stay for 3 yrs. I have three girls, 6yr, 3yr and a newborn,and I'm really struggling with which school to send them to. Have your kids started school? How are you liking it? Our company will cover the cost of private school, so we''re considering St. Stephens, St John's and Trinity. It's really hard deciding when you can't visit the school before hand and don't know anyone who goes there! Any opinions you have on the schools would be greatly appreciated.

If you'd rather send me a personal email.... Oh, the site won't let me post my email address..

Hope you're enjoying it there!!!

Colleen
Hello QLD mums,
I am hopefully in the process of moving to Rockhampton or a nearby costal town. Where is the best place around Rockhampton to stay (schools/play areas etc). We are moving from Edinburgh...to escape the snow!
Lynne x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Lynne,

We're in Gladstone which is around an hour and a half drive south from Rockhampton. I'm not too sure about much around there but Yeppon is really nice :)

When are you planning on moving? Do you have jobs? My husband is a diesel fitter and there is loads of work around here for him. I however am too busy with a 14 week old, we have too many lunch dates/play dates/sunbathing etc too do and have no intention of changing that......

My husband is from Balerno and I am from Grangemouth and I can assure you the weather here is very different, it's 7.45am and 28 degrees.

Any advice you need just ask and I'll help if I can.

Lou x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
Well, at the moment we are in Edinburgh but there is a possible job in Rockhampton for my husband. I'm a GP so I would hopefully get something when we get settled. We have a 5yr old and a 3 yr old so settling them would be my first job.
I like the look of Yeppoon - we might try a holiday first to get a better feel for QLD. We loved WA and are really motivated to get back to Oz.
Thanks,
Lynne x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts