Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Hoping someone could give me some advice on a bit of an unusual situation.

My boyfriend is on a 457 visa and is in the process of gathering everything together to submit an EOI for 189 visa. Just waiting for the Engineers Australia assessment. Last week, while overseas we found out his company has gone into liquidation & therefore his 457 visa will expire in 90 days.

Trying to decide if the best approach should be to find another 457 sponsor or wait in the hope can get EOI submitted & invitation to apply before 90 days are up so he can move onto a bridging visa which would open up more employment opportunities.

We've already been in touch with EA who have agreed to fast track his assessment given the situation so should be submitting EOI early next week. He's on 60 points. How likely would receiving an offer to apply in the August round be? The September offer date would be getting pretty close to the 90 day cut off.

Appreciate any input or advice anyone more familiar with these situations could provide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Hi there. Hoping someone could give me some advice on a bit of an unusual situation.

My boyfriend is on a 457 visa and is in the process of gathering everything together to submit an EOI for 189 visa. Just waiting for the Engineers Australia assessment. Last week, while overseas we found out his company has gone into liquidation & therefore his 457 visa will expire in 90 days.

Trying to decide if the best approach should be to find another 457 sponsor or wait in the hope can get EOI submitted & invitation to apply before 90 days are up so he can move onto a bridging visa which would open up more employment opportunities.

We've already been in touch with EA who have agreed to fast track his assessment given the situation so should be submitting EOI early next week. He's on 60 points. How likely would receiving an offer to apply in the August round be? The September offer date would be getting pretty close to the 90 day cut off.

Appreciate any input or advice anyone more familiar with these situations could provide.

he needs to consider few scenarios before taking the decision .

First and foremost what is his skill set if he is into say mining or some other skill which has good amount of requirement then he can easily get the 457 sponsor.

But say he is applying for software / Accounting which has tremendous response by applicants from offshore and considering both are flagged (with possibilities of being removed in July 1 invite ) in that case he needs to apply fast and try to increase the points for a fast/ direct grant. There is less possibility of getting a 457 sponsorship in these fields due to overwhelming response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Since he needs to find a new employer anyway, he may as well ask if they'd sponsor him IF he should need it. He can explain that he's lodged/or will soon lodge (depending on whether his invitation is received by the time he's interviewed) his PR visa and that the resulting bridging visa will allow him to work with no restrictions, but that if there were any hiccups in the process he MAY require sponsorship.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top