Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am coming out here. I am a Star Trek fan. My little boy is also a Star Trek fan. Good boy. :)

Netflix is releasing a new Star Trek series in September so I am going to sign up to Netflix to watch it.

BUT, to be honest, I have no idea what Netflix is really all about.

What I have heard though is that Netflix France does not have as much 'stuff' to watch as other countries. That does not bother me as I don't really watch TV. Well apart from Snooker, F1 and star Trek. On the other hand, my French OH loves all the American TV series which she has to watch in 'French' on French telly. She would prefer English.

So are the TV series on Netflix 'France' in VO. Will Star Trek be shown ???

How (in simple terms) does Netflix work basically I am asking. I'm a bit lost on this one.

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Oh, are you in for a treat! Netflix in France has all the Star Trek series (including the original) available. And yes, you can set it up to have it in the original language or dubbed into French. On some series and films, you can also get subtitles (in English and/or in French). With foreign movies (i.e. not French nor English) you may not have the same language choices - though where available, subtitles and/or overdubbing are most often available in French.

Unlike satellite TV here, all the US series and films can be set up in VO without subtitles.

How it works, exactly, is a bit complicated. I think it's SFR that has just announced that you will be able to connect directly to Netflix if you have your TV via their "box." But once you sign up, you can watch Netflix stuff on your PC, tablet, smartphone (with the appropriate apps) or you can get one of the little gadgets that streams Netflix to your television (like a Chromecast or Roku).

But if you're a Trekkie, you've got LOTS to watch on Netflix. (The original series is a real hoot, with the idealistic story lines and the "old fashioned" set designs.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
There you are Smeggie, a good reply from Dear Bev!

I was going to give you a supremely impressively technical reply myself, using my vast intelligence and far reaching experience.....but, to be honest, like you, I haven't the foggiest idea.

I was a student in the electronics industry in the 60s - and got involved with a lot of heavyweight military type equipment. I knew quite a bit about telecomms. Then in the early 70s I saw StarTrek, and they used those hand held "telephones" to communicate. "IMPOSSIBLE" I thought...you need 6 foot high rack mounted transmitters / receivers to do that, plus all the power supply boxes.....and now it's all come true. I've got a startrek type phone in my pocket now.

What other "impossible" things in Startrek have come true???...we don't bat an eyelid about the men on the moon, probes to far distant planets etc.

DejW

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have Netflix (actually, one of my American friends does and she graciously gave me the password to it!) and have used it both in and out of France. I find the France Netflix has less movie options, yes...but you're saying this is a series being released by Netflix, right? If so, then yes, it'll definitely be there. Netflix original shows like Orange is the New Black, or the miniseries 13 Reasons Why, the mini-series Stranger Things, or Netflix original movies, all that....those all show up in Netflix France just like they do the US Netflix one. Netflix wants all their subscribers to watch their amazing stuff ;P. So in France, it may initially default to the French dubbing, but you can click on the little "language" or "captioning" in the corner and change the language back to English (if that was its original one) or others. I find with the Netflix originals, they usually have a lot of options both of subtitles and the actual speaking voice.

But yes, you will be able to watch it.

(I also got a VPN before I left, shh, so I can switch between appearing to have an American server and the normal French server. I did that back in 2015 and could see "side by side" more or less the differences between the two Netflixes. I always watch my stuff on my computer, I don't have a TV so i don't know how that works. But your Netflix changes to "Netflix France" or "Netflix UK" etc based on the internet server its using, unless you have a VPN and trick it lol)

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Just a small caveat - Netflix is getting pretty sophisticated at picking up on those using a VPN. It can still be done, but just be careful which VPN you use.

Also, there is something in the settings on the Netflix app or program or whatever it is where you can specify language and subtitles (including "no subtitles") and it does seem to stick pretty well.

I'm using a Chromecast to "cast" Netflix to my television. It's not problem free, but I've found what I think may be the "trick" to getting it to work smoothly. Had enough problems with the Chromecast to attempt to replace it with a Roku - but the availability of the Roku casting device here in France seems to be problematic, and the prices have just gone up considerably. Not sure what's going on with that, but I managed to salvage the Chromecast thingee and will stick with that until a better option comes along.

But for Star Trek, have no fear. All of the series appeared on the Netflix selection plate within a few days of the announcement that Netflix had bought all the rights and was planning on producing the new series. I'm currently swooning over Captain Jean-Luc Picard as I work my way through The Next Generation.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Yes, Bev...when I pretend to sign in from New York, Netflix catches it. But so far I can still sign in from ...a lesser popular city (I don't want the VPN police to read this haha)

But yes, like you and I were saying...with "Netflix Originals" shows, you can definitely watch it on Netflix France.

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
As I understand it, it's not so much the city, but rather the VPN provider you're using. I looked into a VPN at one point, but found that the "good" ones required a subscription fee. Besides, I've found more than enough of interest on Netflix France to cover the time I have available to watch TV. (The longer you live here, the less interest you seem to have in watching TV in your spare time.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Oh, yes, I definitely had to pay for my VPN. And, even still, with mine, the city you're connecting to does matter (depending on the show/site you're trying to access). The channel sites didn't detect NYC, but Netflix did. So for some you have to sign in to a more obscure city.

And yeah, this is off the heels of being back in the US and being in the middle of some stupid series I was watching that I wanted to keep in touch with (not for the Netflix as much as other TV channels I can watch online). It's a year subscription so there might not be a point to renew after a year when I'm already out of the loop enough.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Ummmm!

I find watching and reading the posts in this forum more entertaining than the excitement of TV series.

Of course, some TV series are very predictable in their plots and characters. Ooops, so are some posts here......

.......Especially people who interrupt an intelligent thread discussion with extraneous and non relevant comments.

DejW

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Looks like Netflix will work for Star Trek and keep the others happy with their American fix. I can't wait for the new Star Trek series. The extended trailer for it looks superb.

I will make it so. Or 'engage'. 'wo’ batlhvaD'

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,306 Posts
...I'm using a Chromecast to "cast" Netflix to my television. It's not problem free, but I've found what I think may be the "trick" to getting it to work smoothly....
We put shows on the "TV" two different ways.

• Apple TV: Netflix and Hulu are both Apple TV channels, among many others. And the Apple TV remote is a model of brilliant simplicity. We also can broadcast programs to Apple TV from our iPhone or iPad.
  • Using the TV as if it were a computer monitor: We bought a small computer (it's a cube about 6" square and 4" deep") and we connected it to the same Sony TV using an HDMI cable. The Sony TV is now the monitor for the computer and we watch TV using the Browser.
The Apple TV option is the easiest and fastest way to watch TV over the Internet for us. I bought a ChromeCast when they were cheap as backup...but have never tried it <s>.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Actually, with our Freebox, we're supposed to be able to access the Internet directly from the TV. The one time I tried it, I had all sorts of trouble with the cursor - but I suspect I might actually be able to access Netflix directly via the "Internet" function on the Freebox. Have not tried it - and probably won't as long as the Chromecast thing continues to work.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
344 Posts
My husband decided on Netflix in July and I have to admit I love having it. We use our xbox to connect cause it is faster (and numericable wanted us to buy a new box and we said no). plus our tv is set up like RayRay, actually has been for about 15 years, and that's how we watch the majority of our movies.

I find netflix has enough stuff on it to keep you entertained, unless you are someone that binge watches constantly, only taking time out to use the toilet and a quick nap lol. My mom has netflix in the US and complains that there is more "junk" than really good stuff sometimes. And my mom is a binge watcher being retired and stuck in the house most of the time now.

I saw that Netflix just put The Mist series on, which I started before we got Netflix and haven't had a chance to catch up, but now I'll be able to easily, so that is pretty nice.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Our tv has netflix and a browser built into it. Cordless keyboard also.No need for other options.

France, well EU netflix is pretty poor. After a few binge sessions, there is not much to watch.

Would stay far away from anything "Apple".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts