Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that Netflix and Hulu are either not working or exceptionally slow on Apple TV's connected to Du. Was all working fine until around Eid time when Netflix would not connect. I am using a US based DNS which was working just fine.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I thought it was just me! I was away for Eid and came back to discover that both Hulu and Netflix weren't working. I've been really frustrated and already wasted so much time trying to fix it.

Hulu is working at the moment but Netflix isn't. I've tried every single suggestion I've found and nothing seems to be helping :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was just me! I was away for Eid and came back to discover that both Hulu and Netflix weren't working. I've been really frustrated and already wasted so much time trying to fix it.

Hulu is working at the moment but Netflix isn't. I've tried every single suggestion I've found and nothing seems to be helping :(
I spoke to the support people at Overplay and they said a lot of Du customers had contacted them. They suspect that Du may be using something called "transparent DNS" which intercepts DNS requests and effectively blocks using external DNS settings. Strange though as Netflix is still working on my ipad. I have found Hulu works but after about 60 minutes it slows to a crawl. Was working great before Eid.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Same here, Netflix works on the iPad so at the moment I'm streaming via AirPlay but is so annoying as the image titles do not show on the app so I have to navigate my instant queue in order to find the titles I want to watch. I know the issue is not with my DNS as I changed to another DNS from another supplier and I'm having the same issues. I also noticed that some websites do not display properly (or don't display at all) on the ipad with the external DNS, so I really think this is an issue with Du. So annoying :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If as the DNS provider explained that Du is using a transparent DNS then it apparently intercepts calls to external DNS servers. So changing DNS servers probably won't help. Be interesting to know if Etisalat subscribers are havibg problems. Odd it works on iPads.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I found that anything that requires streaming is unreliable in this country. Sometimes its ok, often its not. Even Youtube often does not stream properly.... I am not sure what triggers this, but its bad many years already.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Has anybody found a fix for this yet? I'm still not able to watch Netflix on my Apple TV...booohoo
It's fairly obvious. You need a decent router which can run a 'unmentionable' directly, then your Apple TV will appear to be in the relevant country and so will the iPad. Lots of routers will perform the necessary function if configured correctly.

Your remaining issue will be streaming capacity which few local lives seem to be reliable enough. to handle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AppleTV (netflix) not working
Roku (netflix/amazon) working but visual cards not loading
SamsungTV (netflix) working but visual cards not loading
Tablets / laptops working. I now use them to discover new shows, manage my lists, etc..

I'm not facing any of these issues in Saudi, so I know it's not my routers/devices/DNS provider.

Regarding if it's a du vs etisalat thing, do we have an option of broadband provider in UAE? I thought we were stuck with whatever your building has wired?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Stuck with what the building is wired for, either etisalat or du ...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Just an update on Netflix not working - it's not a DU issue at all, it's a bug within Apple TV that sometimes makes it go wonky. All you need to do is simply, restart your Apple TV and it'll be fine again.

Settings - General - Restart.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Just an update on Netflix not working - it's not a DU issue at all, it's a bug within Apple TV that sometimes makes it go wonky. All you need to do is simply, restart your Apple TV and it'll be fine again.

Settings - General - Restart.

Do you use a 'workaround' - or a DNS?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I have a work around. A hardwired router, so everything connects wirelessly, although I hard line my Apple TV into it, to make it faster.
I thought that was the case, I don't think people using the workaround have any issues though (or if they do, they can be easily resolved by restarting the device as you suggest).

I think the problem is only for us who use a DNS service. I must have restarted my ATV at least a dozen times and I even tried a factory restart, but still have the same issue. For us I think the problem is definitely Du.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.