Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm moving from UK to DC, Georgetown area and would like to know how much an Internet, tv and phone package would cost me? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not from DC, but have lived in a few large cities in the US and it's pretty much the same in all large markets. There are likely 2-3 big companies that have bundles for home phone, Internet and TV for around $100 a month. Sometimes it can be as low as 50-60 or as high as 200 depending on Internet speed, extra/less TV channels, etc.

Usually the price you pick lasts for a year and then it goes up about 30%. If you don't contract at a discount for a year, i.e. just pay month to month, add maybe 20% to the monthly rate.

RCN, Cox, Comcast, Charter, Verizon seem to all serve DC area. Maybe someone from DC could say which they like better.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks the reply, I'll miss having sky tv but hopefully I won't find cable too bad. I understand I can still get comedy central here. That's interesting about the cost going up after a year, I may only be in my apartment for a year until I buy a place so that's a consideration

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's what I've done in the past - sometimes lived in an apartment on a one year lease, so the one year deal from the cable company worked out.

Most of them also have bundles for 2 of the 3. For example, you can get DirecTV satellite, and then separately get cable internet and digital phone from the big cable/dsl company. Generally, the more services and the longer the term, the lower the price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts