Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am thinking of moving to Nelson from Singapore, in October 2015. How is the cost of living there ? Will around NZD 220k be enough for a family of four, 2 kids aged 15 years and 11 years ?

Is getting admissions to schools achievable ?

What are the good residential areas there to rent/buy a house? Are there any play areas for the kids in the evening ?

My wife is a lecturer. Will it be possible to find jobs for her ?

:plane:
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Hi there,

I am thinking of moving to Nelson from Singapore, in October 2015. How is the cost of living there ? Will around NZD 220k be enough for a family of four, 2 kids aged 15 years and 11 years ?

Is getting admissions to schools achievable ?

What are the good residential areas there to rent/buy a house? Are there any play areas for the kids in the evening ?

My wife is a lecturer. Will it be possible to find jobs for her ?

:plane:
Thanks
Hi,
Have a search through the recent threads as I think a few of these questions may have been answered recently?
Cost of living in Nelson is like much of NZ. It is expensive compared to the rest of the world but it is cheaper than Oz.
Nelson will be cheaper than Auckland and Wellington but only slightly. The area where you would notice a difference will be in housing rent or house prices. They'll be cheaper than NZ's major cities simply because there's less people live there so less demand.

Don't understand the comment of 220k NZD ? Is that just a lump sum or a salary ?

Schools are usually zoned so you can only guarantee entry if you live in the school zone unless you go for an unzoned school but annual costs for these are higher.

Good suburbs are apparantly Atawhai, Stoke, Richmond, Mapua, Motueka but it's all subjective depending on what you are used to and what your desires are.

There is a university in Nelson so there's a chance your wife could find a job. I suppose it all depends if they teach her subject area?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is annual salary before taxation.

Plan to stay near the Nelson College.

Are there shopping areas in and around Nelson ?

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
That is annual salary before taxation.

Plan to stay near the Nelson College.

Are there shopping areas in and around Nelson ?
Yes you will easily be able to manage on that salary for a family of 4.

Nelson centre has many streets of shops and there is an indoor shopping mall in Richmond.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts