Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Apart from not knowing how to spell niece I have a problem with a family member who wants to visit us in the States.

She has convictions for:

Assault against a Police Officer
Car theft and driving without a licence

Both of which when under the influence of drugs and alcohol. She has been a registered drug user and has been through rehab.

I have been quite candid about her chances of getting a visa as remote. But her insistance on coming is actually proving a problem for her mother who we would actually like to see visit us!

Can anyone give us some information on the likelyhood of her getting a visa for the USA so we can actually put this topic to rest once and for all?

Many thanks to all

Best wishes

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
She needs to have a tourist visa, because she can not enter the US on the Visa Waiver Program. If she apply's for the ESTA, she will have to indicate that she's convicted, and than they will refuse her if she doesn't have a (tourist) visa. But... I'm not sure if she will get one, because I think her convictions are what they call "moral turpitude", and that allows the US to refuse you the visa.

If you really would like her to visit you, she will need to prove that she certainly returns back to her home country. This she can do by proving that she owns a house, or has a contract for the rent of a house, or that she has a jobs where she has to return,...

She certainly will need to contact the US embassy, and they can tell you more about her chances to get (or not) a visa.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all

Apart from not knowing how to spell niece I have a problem with a family member who wants to visit us in the States.

She has convictions for:

Both of which when under the influence of drugs and alcohol. She has been a registered drug user and has been through rehab.

I have been quite candid about her chances of getting a visa as remote. But her insistance on coming is actually proving a problem for her mother who we would actually like to see visit us!

Can anyone give us some information on the likelyhood of her getting a visa for the USA so we can actually put this topic to rest once and for all?

Many thanks to all

Best wishes

The UK comes under the visa waiver program to enter the USA, so as a visitor that entitles you to stay no longer than ninety days. As you probably know you have to apply for the ESTA. Your Niece will have to apply for this on her own behalf, it is there the applicant is asked if he/she has a criminal record. If your Niece is honest about and declares her criminal record she will almost certainly get refused entry.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi all

She has convictions for:

Many thanks to all

Best wishes
She needs a B2 -- don't bother with ESTA.

The chances of a visa increase with time. If the convictions were last month, I'd say it was highly unlikely. If they were a decade or more ago, they increase considerably.

If she's wants to find out, the only way to know is to apply for the visa. She'll need her ACPO and MOCs for each offense. Don't forget to also provide proof of ties back to the UK -- job, mortgage/lease, etc. A letter from you saying she's visiting for three weeks from X to Y wouldn't go amiss, either. Lastly, Belfast seems more forgiving than London.

She might also consider using the services of attorney to put her case together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts