Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some decades ago, a charming man named Kennedy was running for POTUS.
Some groups at the time claimed that since he was a Catholic, he'd be getting orders from the Pope of Rome. However, he promised that this would not be the case and enough people believed him that they elected him. Sure enough, he meant his promise and democracy continued as usual with no Roman interference.

Now we have a POTUS who has a different view. If elected, he promised all manner of restriction on individual freedom for citizens to live their lives according to their individual moral compasses, so long as their aren't criminals. This is not acceptable to a majority of Americans; most of whom are against a far right Christian Dominion. This is directly opposed to our Constitution and its solid foundation of separation of Church and State. It's worked, so far.

There can be tolerance of different viewpoints without rancor. I was sent to Catholic schools because that was the deal made with by mother, a fine woman except for, quite frankly, being a borderline religious fanatic, and my father, a "free thinker". Arguments happened on a fairly regular basis and I learned that each of them had their own "truth" and never wavered. Other than the never ending stress on religion espoused by the nuns, I received a fine academic education. However, I seem to have my father's mind set: I question everything, and so could also be categorized as a "free thinker".

However, I came to understand the religious fervor that ruled many good people's minds and hearts. I am tolerant of others' beliefs right up until THEY WANT TO FORCE ME AND MY FELLOW CITIZENS TO ACCEPT LEGISLATION WHICH GOES ALONG WITH THEIR BELIEFS.

This is not intolerant. This is the way the Founders thought. It's fine to have deep differences in opinion, and it's fine to advocate for them as well.

True intolerance appears with the specter of FORCE advocated by what has proven to be a minority.

Personally, my opinions lie in the camp of fiscal conservatism and semi-liberal social policies, and I'm content to let Congress deal with lawmaking. Lately, Congress has been caving in to a potential dictator. For instance, the troop withdrawals without either the advice or consent of anyone at all, let alone Congress. This is frightening, in the least. I fear for the world my children and grandchildren may inhabit.

Conservatives are on this web board. They are opinionated, but not necessarily people who "worship" the cult of Trump and his hard core base. I've figured out who a few of them are, and would to get their "take" on what I've written. (I promise not to be snarky.) Smile.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea, and I did, but as you know, the "system" put Trump in anyway. (The very system he himself said should be abolished) However, "winning" does change opinions, eh?

Meanwhile, one poster complained about "conservatives" not stepping up to the conversation. However, the only "conservative" he is relating to is the religious, extreme right wing types. There is more than one flavor of Conservative (thankfully) and they don't necessarily worship at the feet of Trump. From what I've been hearing on the news, quite a few solidly conservative Republicans seem to be wishing we could "Make America Sane Again". Good for them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a friend who's always voted Republican. But in the last election, she couldn't vote for Trump, she was as repulsed by him and his rhetoric as liberals and Democrats were. She voted Independent, but after Trump won, she said she realized she threw her vote away and should have voted for Hillary. If there was a reasonable Republican candidate in the future, I imagine she'd vote Republican again, but as long as the party espouses racism, locks kids in cages, and sells the country out to foreign powers to line their own pockets, she won't.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I felt like NOT voting for Hillary, but realized that it was that or throw my vote away. I was repulsed by what Trump stood for. So I voted for Hillary and we got Trump.

Two years later, I'm wondering what life in the U.S. would be like if Hillary were president. Pardon me for having a loud, hysterical, bitter laugh.

What? No government shut down over a 25 billion dollar wall? No kids in cages? No men of dubious repute on the SCOTUS? No huge tax break for the rich which WOULDN'T "trickle down"? No trade war? No inane daily twittering? No compulsive allergy to the truth?

Who could have lived with that? I could, for one.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Had anyone believed that Trump had any chance of winning, Hillary wasn't a good choice. Nor Bernie. Hillary was disliked, even by a lot of Democrats. What they needed then, and in the next election is a young, good-looking, articulate guy like Trudeau or O'Rourke. As much as I'd love to see a female president, (I like Kamala Harris, she rocks, and Elizabeth Warren has the smarts and experience for the job), in the age of mass media and photo ops, I think they better not blow it this time around.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Actually, I'd like to see Sally Yates as a Democratic nominee. I think she could overcome the "we're not ready for a female president".

·
Registered
282 Posts
With Trump in office we now have a Democrat Congress, with a wide margin of females elected across the House and Senate - yea Trump - keep up the good (I mean) bad work.

Trumps is doing his job - Making America Democratic Again - bring on the MADA to the GOP.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The news tells us that Trump has pressed even more govt. employees into "involuntary servitude", and here I thought that was forbidden by the Constitution's 13th amendment. Wonder how the lawsuit claiming that will go? Stay tuned.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Like gold toilets to plop your lardass down on. Guy has zero class. Trailer park trash born with a golden spoon in his idiotic mouth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts