Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
we have only just joined so please excuse our newness!
we have lots of questions,we want to make a perminant move to australia, in about 3 to 4 years time, its something we have been thinking about for a long time, but due to circumstance we have only the last 2 years began setting the wheels in motion so to speak,
we bought our house from our local council for the investment with the intention of selling it on in a few years after renovating, and then taking the money to aus to start our new life,
we are both intrested in retraining for a career that would be on the skils list as what we do now for livings wouldnt get us in, im a nail technician and my other halfs a driver/deliverer,
we both work hard and have two children who we are hoping to make a better future for, our eldest boy,is Autistic, i consider his autism quite a mild form of, and though he is socially impaired he is quite inteligent and does well at main stream school, can you tell me if the special needs system over there would benefit him, is it similar to ours or where can i get more info?
Darren was pulled over in the car when he was younger( prob early 20's we are both now 33) and the police said the baseball bat and ball he was carrying were classed as an offensive wepon, though they never insinuated it had been used he went to court and now has a weapons marker, though it was a long time ago,i think it will have probably lapsed if they do.... he has never been in trouble for this kind of thing, before that incident or since i wondered if it will mess up our application?
we have also been told that there are companies out there like "four corners immigration" who charge a fee (3,000) and get your visa and everything sorted out for you and would like some advice if possible if this is the reccomended way to go... we are at the very beggining of our dream to go to australia and very determined to make it happen so any advise would be very very welcome.

hope someone can help

thanks in advance
claire

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi again, just to confirm as i think i got the flags wrong!

we live in the uk now and hope to move to aus in the next few years, very new to this and any advise would be great.

Can anyone help me to find where or with who to look, to gain qulifications that will be recogised in aus as we dont want to retrain and then find our qualls are not recognised....
any advise greatly appreciated
thanks in advance, claire

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Right-o, lets start with your skills. If you re-train in an occupation on the SOL just make sure that 3 or 4 years work experience will be necessary before applying. Some occupations don't ask for lengthy work experience, some do.

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

When you get to the stage of applying for your police checks, you must put all those details down on the form. From what I've seen over the years, the only way you would 'fail' is if one of you had a custodial sentence.

As far as autism is concerned in mainstream education, I can't help you on that one. I've found a few websites you may find helpful. I live in Victoria so they are for that State.

Autism Victoria - Services - School Years
Education

As your child has mild symptoms and attends a mainsteam school, once you've worked out where you want to live contact schools in that area and ask their advice.

We used an agent and it was worth every penny. Some people do the whole process by themselves (if their application is straightforward) and some use an agent for the skills assessment part and then do the main application themselves. We used George Lombard Welcome to Austimmigration | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd. and Karen, another mod on here used Jobs in New Zealand, Visa Australia, Jobs in Australia, New Zealand Visa . If you do choose to use the services of an agent, always check that they are MARA/MIA registered.

Dolly

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Claire:

Generally medical fields have the best success when coming over on a skill which you trained for. So look at things like nursing, ambulance, radiography/sonography, mid-wife.

If both of you can re-train it would give you the best chance to come over. Also as these kind of fields have shift hours you may find it easier to care for your child with autism.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Amaslam and Dolly,
Thanks so much for your help,
ill ge on to the web sites you advised and no doubt you will be hearing from me soon
kind regards claire xx

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again...
My other half is thinking of something manual like tiling.... carpet fitter.... plumber or plasterer or a locksmith...
im unsure of how the qualifications transfere ie when you get the qualification overhere, what do you need to do to be able to be recognised as eligable for the job over there... is there a named qualification we should be looking at like nvq or btec?
i know there are a lot of companys offering to learn you the trade in less than a month and at very little cost but its no good if the qualification means nothing over there...
can anyone guide me to a web sight maybe or tell me what the qualifications are called over there?
sorry to be a pain
claire
sorry im just so confused!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts