Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to sell my apartment so I gave tenant 12 months written notice to vacate in May 2014, both parties signed and agreed (I didn’t know letter needs to be notarized). In April 2015, he deposited the check in RERA and I had no choice but to collect it (amount being same like last year, which is 20% lower than min RERA rent bracket, DEWA Bill is still in my name). Now I sent him the notarized eviction notice via Aramex (reason – apartment sell) they could not find him so they put the notice on his door.

1. Aramex could not find him so they sent us a notification that they have posted it on his door? Is this enough?
2. Do I need to send him reminder 3 months before the 12 months are up? What should it mention?
3. What is the procedure if he still does not vacate the apartment?
4. What if after he vacates I cannot find the right buyer for my apartment can I lease after 3 or 6 months?
5. He is staying without valid visa (copy of visa with RERA expired in Oct 2014 and he refuses to send new visa copy)

Really appreciate your advice as I am suffering with my tenants attitude, I believe he is staying without valid visa as the visa copy he submitted in RERA expired in Oct 2014 and has refused to send us the new copy. We are very humble landlords who have brought this property out of all our earnings thinking we can recover some amount through rentals but are receiving less than 15-20% of the market rental value.

Please please help us with the way forward
Much appreciated

·
Registered
292 Posts
Go to rera

Hi Rumana,

Why don't you ask a moderator to move this post to the Dubai-specific forum. It is a very active forum and you will likely receive lots of replies.

If you didn't give proper notice to vacate, or give proper notice to increase rent within acceptable limit, and you accepted his rent cheque when it was deposited with RERA... well, you may be stuck with him for at least another year. Unfortunately, ignorance of the rules or regulations is rarely accepted as an excuse... :(

Please see further comments below in RED.

I wanted to sell my apartment so I gave tenant 12 months written notice to vacate in May 2014, both parties signed and agreed (I didn’t know letter needs to be notarized). In April 2015, he deposited the check in RERA and I had no choice but to collect it (amount being same like last year, which is 20% lower than min RERA rent bracket, DEWA Bill is still in my name). Now I sent him the notarized eviction notice via Aramex (reason – apartment sell) they could not find him so they put the notice on his door.

1. Aramex could not find him so they sent us a notification that they have posted it on his door? Is this enough? CHECK WITH RERA
2. Do I need to send him reminder 3 months before the 12 months are up? What should it mention? CHECK WITH RERA
3. What is the procedure if he still does not vacate the apartment? CHECK WITH RERA
4. What if after he vacates I cannot find the right buyer for my apartment can I lease after 3 or 6 months? CHECK WITH RERA
5. He is staying without valid visa (copy of visa with RERA expired in Oct 2014 and he refuses to send new visa copy) THEN WHY OH WHY DID YOU TAKE HIS RENT MONEY IN APR 2015???

SO WHAT I'M HEARING IS THAT YOU KNEW THAT HIS VISA EXPIRED IN OCT 2014, YET YOU TOOK HIS RENT MONEY IN APRIL 2015, AND ARE NOW UPSET THAT YOU DIDN'T INCREASE THE RENT, AND WOULD NOW LIKE TO KICK HIM OUT AND POSSIBLY RENT IT OUT AGAIN AT CURRENT MARKET VALUE IF YOU CAN'T FIND A "BUYER". SO YOU'RE LOOKING FOR ANY AVENUE TO DO THAT.

I HAVE NO ADVICE TO GIVE YOU EXCEPT WATCH OUT - KARMA CAN BITE YOU IN THE A**. OH YEAH, AND GO TO RERA.

Really appreciate your advice as I am suffering with my tenants attitude, I believe he is staying without valid visa as the visa copy he submitted in RERA expired in Oct 2014 and has refused to send us the new copy. We are very humble landlords who have brought this property out of all our earnings thinking we can recover some amount through rentals but are receiving less than 15-20% of the market rental value.

Please please help us with the way forward
Much appreciated

·
Registered
130 Posts
1. Aramex could not find him so they sent us a notification that they have posted it on his door? Is this enough? It's enough.
2. Do I need to send him reminder 3 months before the 12 months are up? What should it mention? No need to send any other reminder.
3. What is the procedure if he still does not vacate the apartment? You can call the police
4. What if after he vacates I cannot find the right buyer for my apartment can I lease after 3 or 6 months? You need to sell the apartment before he vacates otherwise he's entitled to stay. If you rent within two years he's entitled to go to court and demand for compensation.
5. He is staying without valid visa (copy of visa with RERA expired in Oct 2014 and he refuses to send new visa copy). He doesn't need to send you anything. You can report him to the police but if they find out everything is fine they might not be happy.
Answer in red, advice is to contact RERA in any case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.