Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello you all,
I'm french from close to Paris. My english is bad, very basic. I would have somebody helping me to learn and speak with me. I'm 68 years old. I've no reasons to learn english, but maybe I've I think. If someone wants to help me and be my teacher, it could be nice.
thank you in advance

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am sure that in Paris you could find conversation classes with local associations (I live in the country side and we have free weekly 'chat' classes with our local association). I have a language business and would be available to do online video classes, but they are obviously paid. I really suggest you look for something local to you.

·
Administrator
48,532 Posts
You are treading very close to violating our rule against advertising (even if no money changes hands). Let's try and keep this thread to suggestions of places in or near Paris where the OP might be able to find English conversation practice.

I know the group, WICE used to host both English classes and a bi-lingual conversation group - a sort of language exchange where French people could practice their English in return for helping the English speakers with their French. https://wice-paris.org/

Also groups such as AVF very often have English conversation groups.

The problem just now is that many groups are having to curtail their activities due to "sanitary protocols" - limits to how many can be hosted in a given room, as well as other constraints. Given the current situation (with infection rates seeming to rise, especially in and around Paris) some groups may wind up having to suspend their activities soon.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
...I know the group, WICE used to host both English classes and a bi-lingual conversation group - a sort of language exchange where French people could practice their English in return for helping the English speakers with their French. https://wice-paris.org/...
...The problem just now is that many groups are having to curtail their activities due to "sanitary protocols"...
WICE has been holding their discussion groups online using Zoom. They are held 2 times each week: Tuesday and Friday. I have also heard they want to restart the in-person groups and are trying to find a safe way to do that.

·
Administrator
48,532 Posts
WICE has been holding their discussion groups online using Zoom. They are held 2 times each week: Tuesday and Friday. I have also heard they want to restart the in-person groups and are trying to find a safe way to do that.
Thanks for that information. I just haven't heard all that much about people (businesses, associations, etc.) using Zoom here. Was thinking of suggesting something like that for our local association, but our membership isn't all that tech savvy and I'm not sure many of them would be keen to have to set up an app like Zoom on their home computers without someone handy to hold their hand.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
... our membership isn't all that tech savvy ...
Indeed. That was an issue fort WICE. When they wen to Zoom and canceled the in-person meetings, they picked up a number of participants from outside of Paris, and France. However, they also started getting complaints from the Parisians who could not, or would not, deal with Zoom.

·
Administrator
48,532 Posts
Indeed. That was an issue fort WICE. When they wen to Zoom and canceled the in-person meetings, they picked up a number of participants from outside of Paris, and France. However, they also started getting complaints from the Parisians who could not, or would not, deal with Zoom.
That doesn't surprise me. Also, when I said something about "should I maybe install Zoom" my husband (the IT expert in the family) said that there are a couple of "better" open source programs and apps that manage online meetings.

Fine for the IT Illuminati, but how about those who just want to get together with friends online?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
... my husband (the IT expert in the family) said that there are a couple of "better" open source programs and apps that manage online meetings.

Fine for the IT Illuminati, but how about those who just want to get together with friends online?
Exactly. If the people you want to connect with tell you they use some software or another, then that is what you use. DH is right, there are better packages available than Zoom, particularly in the realm of security. But, if you just want to practice English (or French) do you really care if the KGB or NSA is listening?

·
Administrator
48,532 Posts
Exactly. If the people you want to connect with tell you they use some software or another, then that is what you use. DH is right, there are better packages available than Zoom, particularly in the realm of security. But, if you just want to practice English (or French) do you really care if the KGB or NSA is listening?
Security is a big factor - but for many folks (particularly here in France) the ease of use factor quickly becomes the major thing. I'm told that one of the popular video conferencing apps has lots of glitches when used on Apple platforms. Others work better on Apple, and not so good on Windows.

France does tend to have a bunch of devoted Apple users, but then again, there are also the Linux folks to consider.

·
Registered
18,373 Posts
Security is a big factor - but for many folks (particularly here in France) the ease of use factor quickly becomes the major thing. I'm told that one of the popular video conferencing apps has lots of glitches when used on Apple platforms. Others work better on Apple, and not so good on Windows.

France does tend to have a bunch of devoted Apple users, but then again, there are also the Linux folks to consider.
Most Apple users in France, except perhaps expats, use their iPhone or tablet . Windows is very commonly used, Liux not so much (except perhaps by some professionals).

·
Administrator
48,532 Posts
Most Apple users in France, except perhaps expats, use their iPhone or tablet . Windows is very commonly used, Liux not so much (except perhaps by some professionals).
It may well be different where you are, but in my area, there are lots of folks who stick with the Apple products from phones up to desktop computers. Maybe it has something to do with the university and research centers in the area or something.

Personally, I use Linux and prefer it to either Apple or Windows.

·
Registered
18,373 Posts
It may well be different where you are, but in my area, there are lots of folks who stick with the Apple products from phones up to desktop computers. Maybe it has something to do with the university and research centers in the area or something.

Clearly it is very different where I am - nowhere near Paris.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Might be Apple Fanboy syndrome on the back of that... people who like the Apple Ecosystem REALLY like it so make the effort to get all Apple devices. And because Apple still does not really interact easily with other operating systems... that helps keep you in the club.

I have both, with 30+ years IT management experience. I hate the Apple OS with a vengance, but that is just me. (I also hate Windows... but at least I know how to work around it.)

Kind regards

Ian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back to the original question - I have a weekly conversation with a couple of people over Skype. I found my conversation partners via Conversation Exchange, though I know other platforms are available.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Might be Apple Fanboy syndrome on the back of that... people who like the Apple Ecosystem REALLY like it so make the effort to get all Apple devices.

Ian
Not me.

I have a Mac which is by far the best computer I have ever had. I will never buy a windows computer again.

I am not an Apple fanboy, I just like things that work. I am old fashioned like that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not me.

I have a Mac which is by far the best computer I have ever had. I will never buy a windows computer again.

I am not an Apple fanboy, I just like things that work. I am old fashioned like that.
You ARE a fanboy. Apple works with Apple. Anyone who thinks Apple "just works" has no concept of how the rest of the world has evolved using computers.

I will give you that Mac computers are reasonable at interfacing with server side technology. But iPads and iPhones are crazily not.

The only reason your Apple works at all in the rest of the world is because the underlying technology is based on Unix and thousands of IT heroes around the world figured out how to make it appear to work without falling over all the time.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
244 Posts
Conversation Exchange

I've been very happy with Conversation Exchange.

The idea is to register...create a profile...then link up with someone who wants to learn or improve on your language. Once you've made a connection, the two of you reach an agreement about how you can help each other out.

In my case I've had around half a dozen conversation partners in the past few years. We typically have met once a week for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, and we'll speak French for half the time and English for half the time.

I have two regulars now. One is a neighbor in the building (who -- oddly enough -- I met through Conversation Exchange), and the other is the very first Conversation Exchange partner I met over two years ago.

The web site gives you several options for how you want to go about it: in-person, telephone, etc.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
...Apple works with Apple. Anyone who thinks Apple "just works" has no concept of how the rest of the world has evolved using computers. ...

...The only reason your Apple works at all in the rest of the world is that the underlying technology is based on Unix and thousands of IT heroes around the world figured out how to make it appear to work...
TL:DR... The idea that Windows, Linux and MacOS do not play well together is an outdated concept that should be layed to rest.

I was there at the time and very close to the source: Pacific Telephone and Telegraph running Version 7 on a VAX 11/70 + various internal UNIX based operations systems. I had direct and frequent contact with "heroes" at Bell Labs as we applied UNIX systems to solve daily systems challenges.

Apple systems do work well with the server world because the core BSD was intentionally selected for exactly that purpose. But, that is not the only reason Apple systems play well with others. Apple systems were early adopters of TCP/IP, even at a time when Windows networks were fighting over the likes of services like Netware, Vines, and multiple network protocols like IPX and XNS.

In today's Internet-connected (TCP/IP) world, thanks to standards organizations, like the IETF, connectivity is no longer an issue. The question of compatibility now is down to the application layer. And even here we have complete compatibility. The same major consumer and business applications that run on Windows run on MacOS and even where there are MacOS only products, they read and save Windows file formats. I could go on with a lengthy list of services that are standardized across OS platforms: email, file sharing, calendaring, contact sharing, etc, etc.

Bottom line. It is high time to drop this silly notion of incompatibility and end the religious war that prevailed in the last century.

Reactions: ToulouseRob

·
Registered
325 Posts
TL:DR... The idea that Windows, Linux and MacOS do not play well together is an outdated concept that should be layed to rest.
Agree with that. Apple products (I don't have any, BTW) are well made and a pleasure to have, but so are many non-Apple products which in general cost less. But that's down to a matter of choice.

I think the bigger questions these days revolve around the so-called 'walled gardens', the security of our data, and the increasing power of the 'big beasts' in the tech world.

I really can't claim to be authoritative, but for what it's worth my choices are directed much more towards open source origins, data respectful jurisdictions, and diversity of origin. I don't like monopolies in any walk of life, even if they are sometimes unavoidable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello you all,
I'm french from close to Paris. My english is bad, very basic. I would have somebody helping me to learn and speak with me. I'm 68 years old. I've no reasons to learn english, but maybe I've I think. If someone wants to help me and be my teacher, it could be nice.
thank you in advance
I tried sending Private Message to you but no luck. Try sending me a Private Message yourself then. I'm travelling to the region soon and maybe I can be of help? It would be great to have a genuine local guide to show me some places, outside of the main "touristic" route.
I hope not to be violating any rules here, I had this account but never posted yet, basically I lurk on the forums mostly reading posts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts