Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get to Bristol this weekend travelling Thurs 15th evening/ night or Saturday 16th morning and coming back on Monday 19th.
All of Easyjet, which has a direct Madrid Bristol flight, is booked. Any other ideas? Exeter/ Bournmouth/ Birmingham??
Alicante??
Please post ideas and links if poss.
Thanks

·
Registered
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi - Have you tried looking on a website called sky scanner, its a really good way to look at different available flights with all the airlines as i know its a real pain searching through the different websites.

Hope this helps you, and good luck as the cost of flights are high at the moment.

Regards Cherie :)
Thanks, I'll have a look at it

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Fly to any of the airports you mention and get a coach or train to Bristol. Exter is probably a better bet than Bournemouth but there may be a coach terminal at Bournemouth International, I'm not sure.
If I want to fly to somewhere not served by scheduled airlines I usually fly BA, Iberia or whatever is best price to Heathrow and get a bus to wherever from the coach stand or go into LOndon by tube and get a train. You can buy train tickets very cheaply online.
The problem with regional airports is that they are just that...regional, so they are served often by only one cut-price carrier.

·
Registered
15,941 Posts
Cardiff is another possibility, just a short hop across the Severn estuary. Probably need to hire a car though as Cardiff airport is out in the sticks.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Another thing - how easy is it for you to get to any of the Costa airports from where you are? Malaga serves Bristol about three times a day (Ryanair and Easyjet) and I'm sure many of the other costa airports do as well.

Just checked - Easyjet are all full around that time Ryanair has this

Now just hop on a train to Malaga.

·
Registered
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. Trying to get my head around it now.
From what I can make out Cardiff and Exeter are not offering flights to the areas I want ATM. Some of these smaller airports are not fully operational year round.
Malaga, whilst being an interesting option in theory, is too far (about 6 hours or a fortune on the AVE). Bilbao or Alicante are better options, but nothing seems to be dooable.

·
Administrator
36,787 Posts
I would like to get to Bristol this weekend travelling Thurs 15th evening/ night or Saturday 16th morning and coming back on Monday 19th.
All of Easyjet, which has a direct Madrid Bristol flight, is booked. Any other ideas? Exeter/ Bournmouth/ Birmingham??
Alicante??
Please post ideas and links if poss.
Thanks
have a look at this Momondo - vuelos baratos - Turismo Buscador de bajo coste y billetes de avión baratos

not direct flights, but just one change

the first on the list goes to Birmingham, but the second takes you to Bristol - not cheap though

have a play with dates maybe

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Have you thought about getting a flight to a London Airport as this tends to be cheaper and then making your way to Bristol from there?

Its crazy you cant get a flight when you think about it...

Of course you can get a flight whenever you want...you just have to be prepared to pay more!!!

I did suggest some posts back getting a BA or Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow or Gatwick..it's what I do if I want to go to a city not served directly by scheduled flights.
I then take a train, booking online..
As I posted earlier:)

·
Registered
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help everyone.
I won't be going this weekend as I can't do Madrid Bristol direct and to go via other places in Spain would add 10 hours min (return) on to the trip which is too much for me for a weekend. Cardiff and Exeter have restricted timetables and either don't have flights to Spain now or don't fly on the days I need. Besides which the prices are too high and the cheapest I saw was around 300 € to go to an airport I don't want to go to at the time I don't want to go.
I'll book a couple of weekend trips now for after Easter using the websites and ideas you've given me here. Looks like my mum will be in hospital for a while so ...

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Hope all turns out OK.

I wonder why everything is so booked up this weekend?

Yes, I hope so too.

I think most weekend flights -at least budget flights -are often fully booked. More and more people in nearly all European countries consider a weekend break abroad in the same way we used to consider a day trip to London or the seaside thirty years ago.

·
Administrator
36,787 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone.
I won't be going this weekend as I can't do Madrid Bristol direct and to go via other places in Spain would add 10 hours min (return) on to the trip which is too much for me for a weekend. Cardiff and Exeter have restricted timetables and either don't have flights to Spain now or don't fly on the days I need. Besides which the prices are too high and the cheapest I saw was around 300 € to go to an airport I don't want to go to at the time I don't want to go.
I'll book a couple of weekend trips now for after Easter using the websites and ideas you've given me here. Looks like my mum will be in hospital for a while so ...
I hope she has a speedy recovery :)

I've been looking at flights to maybe take the girls over in the summer to visit with all the aunts & cousins under more pleasant circumstances..............I was reckoning without the Olympics :eek:

·
Registered
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After a quick look this morning looking at April I'm a little shocked!
What happened to the 35€ flights! Or the 55€ come to that! If you're working and can only go on the weekend, forget cheapo flights to the UK :(

PS Thanks for the nice thoughts, but I think we can forget speedy.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I hope she has a speedy recovery :)

I've been looking at flights to maybe take the girls over in the summer to visit with all the aunts & cousins under more pleasant circumstances..............I was reckoning without the Olympics :eek:
I'm in more than two minds about whether to fly to London in the summer....I'm booked for a Conference in the first week of July.
Hotel and flight prices will be exorbitant - that doesn't worry me as I'm not paying - but it's security concerns that are bugging me.
I'm far from the nervous type, quite the opposite, but with all that's currently going on in the world and our compliance in so many 'bad' things I fear there will be some kind of incident, hopefully minor and prevented before harm is done.
Am I being paranoic?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.