Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some of my own research but am still not sure so i need some help please.

I am planning on moving away from Canada for a year starting in November or December 2015. I am looking to spend 5-6 months somewhere hot and then move to Ireland and travel Europe.

I am looking for the best hot place to be my most important requirements are (may not be in order of most important):
-Hot (the least amount of humidity) at least 15 Celsius
-I don't eat food that comes out of the water (fish, oyster, crab, etc...) I don't like the smell taste or texture so i need to be somewhere that isn't al about that type of food.
-Cheap living i would like my rent, utilities, food and such to be around 600-800. I could go higher though and that doesn't include travel budget around that area.
-I would like to be able to easily find sports to play recreationally such as volleyball beach or indoor, soccer, track and field.
-prefer not to have to learn a new language

If you have any suggestions it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
That is a very peculiar set of criteria. Avoiding seafood should be relatively easy almost anywhere. What is hot but not too humid, and English-speaking, with facilities for recreational sports? Australia or the southwest United States, provided you can find a cheap living arrangement.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
That'll be summer and autumn in the southern hemisphere. So how about Namibia? The Namib Desert is certainly hot and not at all humid. Parts of that desert get an average of 5 mm of rain per year. Even Windhoek is rather dry, averaging 50% relative humidity in March (and down around 30% in November and December).

The cost of living in Windhoek, Namibia's largest city, is considerably lower than Toronto (for comparison). English is the primary language. You can certainly avoid seafood in Windhoek. Sports are no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know i will need a visa.

Humidity i just don't want it to be like 90% plus all the time i dont mind carribean humidity i just dont want to feel that wet heat all the time. So its not thatin big of a deal.

In the way of english the country doesent have to be english just it would be nice if a good amount of people knew it or there was a somewhat decent amount of expats in the area.

Sports wise it can be something as simple as a volleyball or social group on meetup.com. i just dont want to have to tryout and make a team or spend hours upon hours trying to find where people play at and when.

One example so you maybe know better what i am looking for is the virgin islands or turks and caicos. Its the heat that i like and probably find somewhere cheap to live but i could not find much about sports and recreation and social stuff im sure they do volleyball and soccer and such but i dont know how much of it as i can't find it on the net. From what it looks like is you can use english for the most part. But almost all the info i look for is all tourist stuff.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The cost of living in Windhoek, Namibia's largest city, is considerably lower than Toronto (for comparison). English is the primary language. You can certainly avoid seafood in Windhoek. Sports are no problem.
Or Swakopmund, on the coast, a charming German colonial outpost dating back to the days of the Kaiser. Miles of beaches, and a Brauhaus on Bismarck Strasse - sounds ideal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts