Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm married to a usc, he is in america still and I am british living in britan. I have a 19 yr old daughter studying at college, but finishing in June. Which way
would I head to start the process of moving with my daughter to the USA.
Be very grateful
Sandy

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Actually, your USC husband has to initiate the process to get you a spouse visa to join him. Mainly consists of being accepted as your sponsor in the visa process. (Or he can find a co-sponsor if needed.)

Your daughter is going to be something of a challenge unless she is dependent on you for some reason. Otherwise she needs her own visa (which means a job and employer to sponsor her).

OK, that's in very general terms. Perhaps someone here on the board will have some other ideas.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Bev - under 21 is considered a minor
Is that for immigration purposes, too? I notice on the London Embassy visa page:

A step-parent or child will qualify for immigration only if the marriage creating the step parent/child relationship occurs before the child's eighteenth birthday.
Perhaps a question to the consulate would be in order.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Hi, I'm married to a usc, he is in america still and I am british living in britan. I have a 19 yr old daughter studying at college, but finishing in June. Which way
would I head to start the process of moving with my daughter to the USA.
Be very grateful
Sandy
Start here:-

USCIS - Family of U.S. Citizens

Your husband needs to start the Spouse visa and dependent visa for you and your daughter. He will need to show that he can sponsor (support) you both, provide accommodation etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts