Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering where the best place to search for private accommodation rentals. Every site seems to be flooded with agents. Other than Gumtree, where can one look to find 2 - 3 bed houses and flats, preferably unfurnished, at a decent rate, inside zone 4 in London? It seems like most rental have unfortunate furniture and dodgey decor, and the landlord expects you to be happy about that. I have no need for short term but I do need it quickly, as we both start new jobs and would like to get a place before next week. Thank you for any help you can give.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Estate agents are neighbourhood specific and contacting several in your neighbourhood of choice is your best bet. But getting something sorted in a week is optimistic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need private rental quickly

Thanks for the reply, Nyclon.

The problem with estate agents is that they

1) take longer
2) ask more money
3) take a fee
4) have no personal engagement

I'm specifically looking for a private landlord. Someone who wants to be a person rather than just a facility for vacuuming up cash. I want to find someone to develop a rapport with over the years. Estate agents not only don't do that, they actively work against it.

That's why mu question is specifically for websites where one can be sure to find private landlords involved in renting their own property and having the facility to filter out the rentals listed by agents. Gumtree does this, but I'd like to know if anyone knows of any others.

As it's the 2nd day of the month, I'm imagining that property that became available from the 1st of the month and hasn't been let, would easily be available for a move in within the week.

So, yes, I'm asking for outside the box.

:)

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Private landlords list their properties with estate agents. When we were renters we found our flat through an estate agent after which all our interaction was with the landlord. Good luck.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Other sources include local newspapers, shop windows or just walk around and you may see notices in windows. But beware of scams and dodgy landlords - just as common as unethical rental agents! While you may like to develop a personal rapport with private landlord, London being London, most people are reserved, don't want to deal with strangers and prefer to be purely businesslike, hence most people use agents. It will be different away from London and in smaller places where there is more of a community feel and togetherness.

·
Registered
756 Posts
We used a property listed with prime location with an estate agent but we have a private landlord we deal with directly now. Yes, it takes time for credit approval and funds but it was worth it in my opinion because our rights are protected and our deposit in an escrow account. Once we signed the lease we deal directly with the landlord ever since. It depends on the owner I would assume if they hire the agent just for listing or full service. When we pay our rent, need repairs and renewed our lease we just dealt with the landlord directly. What we were told when we started looking was that usually the good and affordable property rent even before they are listed on the internet because the agents have lists of people who are looking and they just call them direct which is what happened with us during our search visit. They aid the most expensive properties are usually the ones listed for longer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In urge, we may easily be trapped in scams, so better to go through professionals - its a one time interaction with them but life long satisfaction. Authentic Private rental property can only be gained from trusted people around us.
We searched online - found this website- UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent, booked an apartment in Buckinghamshire through agent (Chancellors) and was quick in their service. Hope this helps.

Regards
Juhi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.