Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for these forums - this is my first post but I've referenced these forums quite often and found them extremely useful.

Here's my situation:

I quit my job in the US last July to travel the world and eventually relocate to Australia. I'm currently in Sydney on a WHV. I got here in late-April just before my 31st birthday to get my foot in the door before I lost my opportunity to have a WHV. I want to migrate to Australia permanently and figured that a WHV would be a good way to try to get sponsored, but as a mechanical engineer with about 7-years of experience I figured worst-case scenario is that I could just apply for an unsponsored visa if things didn't work out here initially.

The first snag I encountered was that I had to work in my profession for 12 of the past 24 months to get the points I need. Being that I quit my job last July, that left me with three options:

1) Best case scenario - I get a job by late July and get sponsored at some point within my 6-months of working here.

2) Second Best Case Scenario - I don't get a job, but I am sponsored by NSW and apply for a visa by the end of July.

3) Worst Case Scenario - late July comes around and I don't have a job or state sponsorship, so I apply for a skilled 175 visa. With the estimated 18-month waiting period I have to leave the country for about 8-months while I wait for the visa to be approved, but I'm almost guaranteed to be in Australia after that.

I've spent the past week or so putting together a game plan and getting all the info together so that I could have all the leg work done (IELTS, skills as a Mechanical Engineer and my work history approved by Engineering Australia, character check requirements met, birth-certificate send over from the states, etc.) by late July.

HOWEVER, last night I JUST caught the fact that EVERYTHING changes on July 1st.:eek: REALLY WISH THEY WOULD HAVE MADE SOME SORT OF BIG DEAL ABOUT IT ON THE AUSTRALIAN VISA WEBSITE.:mad:

Anyway, here's my problem. I'm OBVIOUSLY not going to get my visa in by July 1st, seeing as how I am just now starting to get the leg work done. I'm EXTREMELY worried that I won't get work by the end of July - this would mean that, I don't get sponsored, and I would have a 1 (or more) month gap in my work experience, which would mean I would have to go home and work in the states for at least another year before I could apply for the Australian visa again.

So right now, I'm lost. What's the best game-plan for me?

1) Play American Idiot and submit a partial-visa by July 1st to get my foot in the door, and then submit the rest of the info shortly thereafter when they ask for it?

2) Apply to be ABLE to get a skilled migrant Visa on July 1st ,and keep my fingers crossed that I get word that I'm allowed to apply before the end of July?

3) Assume that I'm so fantastic that someone will sponsor me and that this is all a moot issue?

If I'm going with steps 2 or 3, is it still worth doing all the leg-work now? Basically, what are the chances that the entire visa situation is going to change (points system, requirements, etc.) so that I might find that the prep work I'm doing now (IELTS, skills/work assessment, character check, etc.) is worthless?

ANY HELP IS WELCOME!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
You should meet the criteria as on teh date you apply, the one year experience should be as on teh date of application and if you do apply for the visa without documents, they wont even look at your application and might reject it, depending on the CO and how his day has been so far.

I heard the employer sponsored visa will become easier as they are becoming slightly more relaxed on sponsored visas, not sure though, Just have not been able to follow the website, it is so full of changes, everything seems new to me now

let someone else comment here :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should meet the criteria as on teh date you apply, the one year experience should be as on teh date of application and if you do apply for the visa without documents, they wont even look at your application and might reject it, depending on the CO and how his day has been so far.

I heard the employer sponsored visa will become easier as they are becoming slightly more relaxed on sponsored visas, not sure though, Just have not been able to follow the website, it is so full of changes, everything seems new to me now

let someone else comment here :(
Thanks for the response. Had a feeling that applying without having everything together wouldn't be the smartest idea, especially because I'm betting that with the changes coming July 1st they're getting SLAMMED with applications right now (and as such, are becoming less lenient and probably getting quite a few rushed/half completed applications).

As far as the one-year experience being on the "date I apply", that's my understanding as well. My last day at my job was July 29th, 2011, so I'm assuming that July 29th 2012 is my deadline for getting work in Australia to avoid having over a 12-month gap in the last 24-months. :eek:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yes, do you have the assessment in hand?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, do you have the assessment in hand?
No, that's part of what I'm working on now. I had looked into applying for permanent residency about 6-years ago and I don't recall having to do HALF of what I need to do now (and it looks like that's all going to change AGAIN). From what I remember it was pretty straight-forward, so I figured I had a year to get sponsored or to apply for a skilled visa. Was obviously a bit caught off-guard when I saw the 12-months in 24-months requirement...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
such is life, why do you think they say, never miss/loose an opportunity, it might not knock on your door again :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
such is life, why do you think they say, never miss/loose an opportunity, it might not knock on your door again :)
Looks like opportunity is knocking again with the new July 1st 2012 changes!!!:clap2:

Did a bit more research today and found the following on the Australian government website:

"-Key changes to threshold eligibility requirements

There are four important proposed changes to the current General Skilled Migration visa threshold

eligibility requirements:
•a new requirement to have been invited to apply
•location requirements broadened
•Australian study or recent work experience pathway requirements removed<---!!!!!!!!!!!!
•eligible visa requirements expanded."

The 12-month in 24-month thing is GONE! I went through the revised points requirements - they're now giving me points for my Bachelors degree in the states, so now all I have to do is get 10-points by scoring above a 7 on the IELTS (which shouldn't be a problem as I'm pretty damn good at English if I say so myself), and I'm golden!:D

If these new requirements do indeed reduce the estimated wait from 18-months then that's even better! I suppose time will tell on that front, however.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.