Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to seek information on getting married to my Boyfriend who lives across seas. We don't know how to go about getting him here the easiest way. We have never met in person. We talk daily on the phone and we use skype to see each other and our families. This is not something I am jumping into. This is something we have talked about with our families as well as each other. We all want the same thing. I want him here due to my fear of flying. He respects that and he trying to come here. I have researched school visa, but know we can't get married on it, I have looked at a tourist visa and they almost always get denied. I have also look at A Fiance visa but we have to have seen each other in person at least once. So that is out of the question. IF you have any advice or input it is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for all your help. God Bless :love:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am trying to seek information on getting married to my Boyfriend who lives across seas. We don't know how to go about getting him here the easiest way. We have never met in person. We talk daily on the phone and we use skype to see each other and our families. This is not something I am jumping into. This is something we have talked about with our families as well as each other. We all want the same thing. I want him here due to my fear of flying. He respects that and he trying to come here. I have researched school visa, but know we can't get married on it, I have looked at a tourist visa and they almost always get denied. I have also look at A Fiance visa but we have to have seen each other in person at least once. So that is out of the question. IF you have any advice or input it is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for all your help. God Bless :love:
All the people I know who needed a tourist visa to enter the USA got approved. It would help if you boyfriend has ties to his home country (i.e job, in school) so that the embassy/consulate officials know that he's not coming here intending to overstay his visa. Granted it's harder for nationals from certain countries to get a visa as easy as nationals from other countries. It looks like the only thing he can (as you have a fear of flying) is apply for a visitors visa and see what happens. Good luck.

·
Administrator
49,467 Posts
If he's not eligible for the visa waiver program (by virtue of his country of origin) then the only option you have is for him to apply for a visitor visa so you can at least meet face to face. After that "visit" he will have to return home to await a more permanent visa (fiancé, spouse, etc.) before he can join you in the US.

If he were to obtain a student visa, you'd have the same issue - i.e. that he would have to return home to receive a more permanent visa to join you in the US - but at least you would have a history of knowing each other in person for a longer period of time (say, a year or more, however long it takes to complete whatever study program he came over for).

Either way, until and unless you manage some substantial face to face time together, any visa application he makes will have to overcome the presumption that he has been courting you at distance simply to get an immigration visa. Conquering your fear of flying might ultimately be the easiest way for both of you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
172 Posts
First, you should know that applying for a non-immigrant (tourist, student) visa when you have immigration intent (marriage) is considered to be visa fraud and if they suspect that you have done this your fiancee could be permanently banned from entering the US. Since he is not a citizen and immigration is not a right, they don't need to actually prove this in court, if they suspect it, he could be banned. People DO do this all the time, but it is illegal and some do get caught.

Second, you should probably go to a site that specializes in this. This site deals with Americans leaving the country; you are doing the opposite. Go to visajourney.com and post your questions there. You will get more and better advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts