Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group,

I have got a job offer from Sydney based company and offering annual package of $125000 (incl. super ann) and sponsoring my 457 Work Visa. I am from Bangalore, India and amidst of saying Yes or No to the Australian organization on the job offer.

I am married and have 2 year old daughter. I have plans of staying long term by applying PR once i reach Australia. My wife will start working but that is low priority as of now.

The opening is based out of Sydney. Do you feel the salary being offered is good to start with, the monthly expenses, schooling, house on rent, grocery and utilities, phone and transport.
Is there any relocation benefits that companies usually offer for expat employees?

Any guidance and advise will be grateful.

·
Registered
100 Posts
125k is more than good to start.
You can claim day care benefit for your child from centerlink I guess. You can check.

Can you please share your skillset like java developer or project manager etc?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you.
I am a solution architect in telecom domain and have 11yrs of work experience in all geographies.
Since my wife will not be working and day care being expensive in sydney can i save some money ?
I am confused because im on 457 work visa and not sure if i can get any benefits.
It shouldn't happen that i am on losing spot as in India i'm at a good designation, salary and role.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello Group,

I have got a job offer from Sydney based company and offering annual package of $125000 (incl. super ann) and sponsoring my 457 Work Visa. I am from Bangalore, India and amidst of saying Yes or No to the Australian organization on the job offer.

I am married and have 2 year old daughter. I have plans of staying long term by applying PR once i reach Australia. My wife will start working but that is low priority as of now.

The opening is based out of Sydney. Do you feel the salary being offered is good to start with, the monthly expenses, schooling, house on rent, grocery and utilities, phone and transport.
Is there any relocation benefits that companies usually offer for expat employees?

Any guidance and advise will be grateful.
Hey Buddy,

Can you let me know how you were able to secure a job offer while sitting in India, I meant to say that I am also looking for jobs in Oz while sitting in India.
Please let me know how was your struggle in securing a job offer in Oz from India.

Thanks for all the help.... :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
On a 457 there are no benefits you can claim....not possible until you are on a PR and then for most you have to be here for two years first.

125k is more than enough for this line of work. You can't expect them to pay relocation costs if they are sponsoring you for a temporary visa (if they do you can expect that your salary will decrease and/or there will be a clause in your contract saying if you leave before X years you have to reimburse the money to them...it will be seen as an advance on your salary rather than relocation money)...they do however have to pay your flights back for the family if they cancel your visa or at the end of the contract.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Scattley,

How are annual hikes in Australia ? I plan to file my PR on my own soon, will that give a push on salary front ?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thank you Scattley,

How are annual hikes in Australia ? I plan to file my PR on my own soon, will that give a push on salary front ?
you are getting very good start. average annual hike is about 3-5% . sometimes there is no hike but company offer a lum sum bonus.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Go for it.. its a very good start....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you friends for your prompt response - I really appreciate.

How about house and pre-schools or day care, which i understand are extremely expensive in Sydney? i have a 2 yrs old daughter who goes to play school in India
Any advise on that front is extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This surely is a good opportunity, you should go for it. People otherwise end up starting at far lesser salaries, even with your kind of experience.

Just do ensure you know that company better and check whether the project is of 2 years plus. It should not happen that after 6 months they say your job is over, this would technically mean your visa stops to exist and you will have to return back. So this company keeping you employed is important. Hence your research on the company is needed. (I am not saying this happens to all, but its better to be prepared for the worst)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Rao, you are right
I have friends working for this organization. Basically its an hiring agency who inturn has project in major Telecom Service Provide in Australia. The contract is of 4 years but then it all depends on this hiring agencies contract with the telecom company. If i do take up the opportunity, i need to file my PR so as to become independent.
Also - any idea how is the market in Asutralia for Solution Architects and Designers in BSS domain both full time and contract jobs. I understand contract jobs pay you more but its no conditions job, no security.

·
Registered
460 Posts
:cheer2:h
Thank you friends for your prompt response - I really appreciate.

How about house and pre-schools or day care, which i understand are extremely expensive in Sydney? i have a 2 yrs old daughter who goes to play school in India
Any advise on that front is extremely appreciated.
Yes day car is expensive around $100-150 a day and you have to commit to a set day per week (and pay even if you don't use it that week)...I.e. Every Monday. This is for people who have both parents working and many daycares will prioritise places for these parents ahead of where one parent is not working (places are very limited).

play groups are completely different and are where the parents stay with the child while they interact with other children in a centre or park. They can be located through word of mouth or through the local papers...they are minimal cost if any.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Friends thank you for your response.
My wife is an interior Designer and have around 7 years of experience in India.
Are there enough equivalent opportunities available in Sydney (full time or contract) ? If getting interior designer job difficult are there any other kind of job that my wife can pick up?
My concern is that my daughter goes to play school in India and to live a healthy lifestyle and continue her to day care we both need to work.. else it's going to be very difficult for me to sustain..as day care for 457 work visa holders is damn expensive..
any suggestions pls?

Can she work on dependent work visa (dependent 457 visa)?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Friends thank you for your response.
My wife is an interior Designer and have around 7 years of experience in India.
Are there enough equivalent opportunities available in Sydney (full time or contract) ? If getting interior designer job difficult are there any other kind of job that my wife can pick up?
My concern is that my daughter goes to play school in India and to live a healthy lifestyle and continue her to day care we both need to work.. else it's going to be very difficult for me to sustain..as day care for 457 work visa holders is damn expensive..
any suggestions pls?

Can she work on dependent work visa (dependent 457 visa)?
Indian Experience as Interior Designer may not be very useful. visa status of 457 dependent can create some problems as well during job search as employers don't prefer to hire someone who may or maybe be there in the country tomorrow.However depends on how urgent the requirement is.

She can legally work full time. no problem with that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks my friend.
Interior Designing jobs are less or due to visa difficult ?

What are other fulltime jobs my wife can get?
Also - if we apply for PR soon as we reach Australia in that case can she tell employer that she amidst getting PR and they can offer job?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks my friend.
Interior Designing jobs are less or due to visa difficult ?

What are other fulltime jobs my wife can get?
Also - if we apply for PR soon as we reach Australia in that case can she tell employer that she amidst getting PR and they can offer job?
There many jobs available in the market but you can't predict how long it will take. can be 1 week or even 1 year. purely depends on profile and luck as well. there are quite a few casual jobs available as well.

The best thing is atleast one of you have decent stable job so don't make her feel under pressure. it takes time to settle down here. you are making a good move mate. don't worry and best of luck :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks my friend
Even if you apply for PR there is no guarantee you will get it. There are many aspects of the vetting process that you can get a 457 visa on (e.g. Medical) which you get rejected on a Pr visa. She will also come across as a liar ....trying to give herself a stronger case for employment than she actually has. Don't mention PR until you have it.

Interior design jobs are mostly available in your own business, not as jobs advertised in the paper. She will need to set up her own business

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am very confused seeing the response received to accept or reject the offer..
I have tried to distinguish the pros and cons based on response received from friends on the group..
Pros -
1. Decent Salary to start with
2. In my current job I have to travel alot and hence this is an opportunity to live with family
Cons
1. Day Care is damn expensive
2. Finding job for wife can be cumbersome (as what i understand) but its good to have for maintaining good lifestyle
3. Not sure about PR issuance
4. Job security is not there as I will be on 457 visa.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have tried to distinguish the pros and cons based on response received from friends on the group..
Pros -
2. In my current job I have to travel alot and hence this is an opportunity to live with family
Cons
2. Finding job for wife can be cumbersome (as what i understand) but its good to have for maintaining good lifestyle
Hi,

I think you shouldn't be confused here.

1. Your child's gonna go for daycare for a couple years before starting to school.

2. Until your daughter starts to school, your wife can socialize and grow her network; until then Once you're a PR, your wife can start working in any field she would like to if she knows enough people in the field.

3. Suppose you're 32 years or older, You would need either state sponsorship or a 7 band in all 4 modules of IELTS. For experience, If you've got all 11 years of experience in telecom and the degree is relevant to telecom, you can get PR provided you prove the 9 years (using payslips, tax certificates, employment references)

4. Even a PR doesn't guarantee you a job security. But if you're talking about leaving/staying country and out of job, FYI, you'll have 90 days to find a new employer.

All said, am not sure about adding dependents on your 457 but taking them later on (just like PR holders do). Best bet would be to leave wife n daughter and bring them later once you are confident.

All the very best!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Why do you sound so confused, it's simple, if you are making good money (in your case $125,000 is a pretty good) so your wife can stay at home as 'Full Time Mom' & save Day Care/Child Care Centre cost. She may like to consider job options later when baby starts going to school. All me friends whose Partners are earning more than $100,000 pretty much stay at home & love to take care of their kids.

I don't understand your point 2, you suggesting it's difficult to 'maintain good lifestyle' in $125,000?

Girl Aussie

Pros -
Cons

1 - 20 of 30 Posts