Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I know there are many posts from you guys that give ample info related to cheap flights to Brisbane from Delhi and cheap options for a week long stay.

Apologies but I need your help on the same as I have very less time to nail down the itenary. :focus:

Can you please help?

Basically I am travelling with my wife and son to activate our PR and probably try to give few interviews. So a week's stay is what is in my mind, but need a cheap accommodation.

Thanks for your continued assistance and support.

Cheers,

Karthik
Principal structural engineer - buildings

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Have you arranged the interviews already? If not, I doubt that in a week you will manage to set up and attend interviews. You should consider setting up the interviews prior to travelling.

Also, do bear in mind that employers would typically expect you to be in Oz before they offer interviews and additionally would expect you to be able to start work pretty much straightaway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you arranged the interviews already? If not, I doubt that in a week you will manage to set up and attend interviews. You should consider setting up the interviews prior to travelling.

Also, do bear in mind that employers would typically expect you to be in Oz before they offer interviews and additionally would expect you to be able to start work pretty much straightaway.
Maz,

Thanks for the useful tips. I could get any interview fixed yet, trying through linkedin contacts but not sure if I can.

Can you suggest a way to achieve this? I am basically structural engineer working for consultants (building sector).

Thanks again

Karthik.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
There is no easy way to set up interview, especially prior to arriving in the country - you just have to put in the hours and network as much as you can. You could also try contacting a few agents and letting them know when you will be in Australia and update them with your Australian contact number when you arrive.

Who are your employer's competitors or clients? Do they have an office in Australia? If they do, speak to your clients/ competitors, etc in Delhi. They might be able to give you the contact details of the recruitment officer/ HR manager in Brisbane. They may also know if the company is recruiting in Australia and may even be able to recommend you for the position.

Ultimately, as a new migrant, finding a job can be a right pain and can cause numerous sleepless nights. Some of us are lucky and manage to land a job fairly quickly whilst others struggle - it all comes down to the market, your occupations, skills, experience and a bit of luck. The earlier you start networking, then the better as ultimately, it means that an agent or employer is expecting your email and will therefore keep a look out for it and keep you in mind whenever a new opportunity comes up, as opposed to your CV getting lost in a big pile, if you choose to wait until you arrive and just make speculative applications.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no easy way to set up interview, especially prior to arriving in the country - you just have to put in the hours and network as much as you can. You could also try contacting a few agents and letting them know when you will be in Australia and update them with your Australian contact number when you arrive.

Who are your employer's competitors or clients? Do they have an office in Australia? If they do, speak to your clients/ competitors, etc in Delhi. They might be able to give you the contact details of the recruitment officer/ HR manager in Brisbane. They may also know if the company is recruiting in Australia and may even be able to recommend you for the position.

Ultimately, as a new migrant, finding a job can be a right pain and can cause numerous sleepless nights. Some of us are lucky and manage to land a job fairly quickly whilst others struggle - it all comes down to the market, your occupations, skills, experience and a bit of luck. The earlier you start networking, then the better as ultimately, it means that an agent or employer is expecting your email and will therefore keep a look out for it and keep you in mind whenever a new opportunity comes up, as opposed to your CV getting lost in a big pile, if you choose to wait until you arrive and just make speculative applications.
Maz,

Thanks for your advice and tips, I fully agree with you that landing a job is not an easy task. Will continue my efforts in networking and try my luck.

Thanks again.

Karthik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.