Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bonjour! I am looking to buy a property in Olonzac and wanted to know what are the pros/cons of being in this village and if anyone knows how many times the church bells ring since the house I am interested in is right by it? Any information would appreciated! Merci in advance!

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
Always start with the website of the mairie to get a feel for the major issues of interest in town. Accueil

Some mairies even post the minutes of the conseil municipal sessions and those reveal all sorts of plans and projects going on in the town.

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I have done all of this and extensive research. I would like to hear from locals.
Olonzac is a town of 1776 inhabitants. There are something like 35,000 towns in France. We may be able to find some residents of Herault (the departement) who can help out here - but I'm not sure if we have anyone from the town itself.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
To add to Bev's comment, try detective work using google maps satellite view together with street view. True, these give you only a one time snapshot......but it all helps.

As for bells, in my small village the church is only 100 metres away, and the bells chime every quarter hour, 24 hours per day...doesn't take long to get used go them!

Ding, dong.....DejW

·
Registered
578 Posts
I used to live by the bells in my first home, they started at 7am and stopped at 10pm - a ding every 1/2 hour plus the hours plus the long things at 12ish and 6ish. Sorry no knowlege of that village.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
������ I don’t mind bells but this is a holiday home and if I rent it out, it may be an issue. Been to olonzac a few times but they are renovating around the church so the bells aren’t ringing for me to hear. The house is probably 20 meters from the church so it’s going to be loud ��

·
Registered
336 Posts
The whole point of bells on churches with clocks is to ring out the time... all the time. To tell the workers in the fields what time it is, for miles around.

If you are at all worried - don't buy that house. It will be loud, and probably chime the quarters too. If you are lucky, it will stop at night - but it might not.

As DejW says you will get used to it, but you have the chance now to AVOID getting used to it!

Regards

Ian

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
I'm not so sure if the bells will necessarily be loud. Was at the kiné today, and the office is located no more than about 50 meters from the church. While I did hear the clock chime the hour (of my appointment), it really was background sound and not intrusive at all. These things definitely vary by town.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
We live quite near Olonzac, and many church (clock) bells around here ring the hour a couple of minutes before and after it, plus at least half hours, some quarters too.

There is a lady resident in or near Olonzac on another well-known French forum.

Reactions: Chanteuse812

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I just looked up Olonzac after Bev mentioned that it was in the Hérault.
I was in that part of the world at the beginning of this month and was struck by the force of the wind.
The tramontane is a constant factor to deal with.

We once rented a presbytère just next to a village church. (Not in Olonzac ...)
The bells were hell.
One fine day the steeple was struck by a ball of lightning and exploded into our courtyard, cross, bells and all!

It took them a year and a half to rebuild and get those bells ringing again.
Silence was golden.

Some villages cut the bells from midnight to 6am, ring the mairie to ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so very much! I really needed to
Hear from someone who has heard them. I can’t get back over until 2nd week of feb to listen. When did that happen? They are working on the church now and the bells were definitely not ringing the 2 days I was there. I actually emailed my immobilier to see if she could send me a video of the bells ringing outside 😂 waiting for a response but I live in NYC so it’s nkt like I can just get over there any time I want. I think you made my decision on this house 🥺

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Read your post incorrectly. So it wasn’t in Olonzac. Guess I will wait to see what the realtor says about my request �� the house is double glazed throughout and is of stone so it will be curious to see. Stayed in other villages with bells all night and not an issue for me but the house wasn’t right across the street either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Olonzac

Bonjour!

I don't have any personal information on Olonzac but I can refer you to a friend of mine who runs her own boutique real estate agency. She's been living in France for several years and knows the area very well. Her company is called Cathar Country Houses. Her name is Jennifer.

Hope this helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts