Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband have an employer that will sponsor him and his wife. My question as a wife I know I can study but my question whats the cost of education. Will I be consider as international student or as I will be in permanent residence prior to my husband visa can I avail the tuition fee of a citizen? Thank you for any information.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

As the 457 visa is a temporary one, you won't have PR. If you haven't got PR then you won't be eligible for CSP etc. Commonwealth supported places

Depending on what you wish to study, it will probably be fairly expensive. My son is just about to start a 3 year bachelor course and his fees would be $18K per year but as we have PR we only end up paying around $7K per year.

How will you get PR 'prior' to your husband getting his visa? Or do you mean you will be permanently residing in Australia before your husband gets his visa?

Once your husband is here on his 457, he can apply for PR.

Dolly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dolly!

Thank you for the information! I got confused with the 457 Visa. So how soon can we apply for the PR once we are in Australia? My husband panicking when he read awhile ago about this form 457.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
You can apply soon after you arrive in Australia.

Dolly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can apply soon after you arrive in Australia.

Dolly
Thanks again for the information. Thats a good news but studying will cost a lot more if we don't apply for a PR at once. I've been checking how much it cost for us to apply for a PR and i can't. Any idea or anyone applied how much the entire cost? I will greatly appreciate any details. My husband is really going nuts with the restriction of the 457 Visa or applying for a permanent visa there. He expect he will get a employer nomination scheme subclass 121/856 but now they are advising for the 457 visa I guess for easy processing.

Miszy

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Miszy,

We've come on the 457 visa and our two children have successfully enrolled in schools, no fees. 457 visa is not classed as international students and it depends which state you are going to as in QLD, we are exempt from paying international student fees and will only need to pay $250 per child per year, this covers course books, etc.

You will need to contact the education dept of the state that you're hoping to go to and check with them as each differs on its costs etc.

xx Satty:love:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Miszy,

We've come on the 457 visa and our two children have successfully enrolled in schools, no fees. 457 visa is not classed as international students and it depends which state you are going to as in QLD, we are exempt from paying international student fees and will only need to pay $250 per child per year, this covers course books, etc.

You will need to contact the education dept of the state that you're hoping to go to and check with them as each differs on its costs etc.

xx Satty:love:
Hello Satty!

Thats a good news! We are going to Canberra. Ah well I'm keeping my finger cross that my husband can talk to the employer for ENS otherwise we need to evaluate the offer as his age is over 50 and getting a PR will be difficult. I don't know if the university who is hiring can do this. It's a special case though as he will be teaching foreign languages. It's a good salary thats why we consider moving but still here he can apply for the tenure track next year in the university he is currently teachning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts