1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyy there

How is everything?

I have a small doubt here.
My sister went to USA for student visa and later changed the status to refugee visa. She got her green card through refugee status. She is already married in USA to a guy who does not have a green card though. Hopefully her husband will also get green card through her.

I would like to ask if there are any chances I can apply through her?
After she gets her citizenship, can she sponsor me for permanent residency?

Also, what if I had a brother in the same case? Does it make any difference?

Help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Cheers

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Your sister would become eligible to sponsor you for immigration when/if she obtains U.S. citizenship. Immediately after she naturalizes she would file USCIS Form I-130 and related attachments. There would still likely be a several year wait until a visa becomes available. There is also a financial sponsorship requirement. See this page for more information.

According to the latest visa bulletin, Fourth Preference immigrant visas (for adult siblings of U.S. citizens) are now being issued for applications made in 2002 (about 13 years ago), or even back as far as 1991 (immigrants from the Philippines). It's hard to predict exactly how long you'd have to wait since that's a future forecast, but siblings receiving visas now have had to wait over a decade, in some cases over two decades. That's after their sponsor acquired U.S. citizenship. So it's not a short-term plan, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You very much for responding.

Well, that is a really long wait. Probably more than a decade.
Are there any other options that you are aware of getting permanent residency status in USA from offshore?

Thanks a ton mate.
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts