Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I'm British and my wife is Korean. The past 4 years I have lived in Korea with her teaching English while she was finishing off her degree. Early last year she said she wanted to go to France, Dijon to do her masters degree. She's now been there since August.

Our plan was for her to go to France and for me to come back to the UK to work to save some money as my working contract in Korea finished. Anyway we planned for me to work here in the UK for a while to save some money and then I would move to France to be with her and find a job there.

Now this is the problem, I don't really speak any French at all, I don't really want to teach English, but from what I read you need to be able to speak French anyway. Dijon is a small city also, so I'm wondering how on earth am I gonna be able to find a job there that requires just English speaking for now.

I have recently just started studying French by myself with some books and CD's I bought.

Anyone have any idea what I can do. Because its really hard for me right now being away from my wife, she also wants to live in France even after she has finished her masters.

Please any help will be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
50,460 Posts
What is her fascination with living in France? Obviously, if she's doing a masters in France, she must speak the language passably well. If she's in a field that is in demand in France, she may have to consider supporting you for a while.

To be brutally honest, your chances of finding a job without speaking some level of French are pretty slim - especially in a small town like Dijon.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi there.

I'm British and my wife is Korean. The past 4 years I have lived in Korea with her teaching English while she was finishing off her degree. Early last year she said she wanted to go to France, Dijon to do her masters degree. She's now been there since August.

Our plan was for her to go to France and for me to come back to the UK to work to save some money as my working contract in Korea finished. Anyway we planned for me to work here in the UK for a while to save some money and then I would move to France to be with her and find a job there.

Now this is the problem, I don't really speak any French at all, I don't really want to teach English, but from what I read you need to be able to speak French anyway. Dijon is a small city also, so I'm wondering how on earth am I gonna be able to find a job there that requires just English speaking for now.

I have recently just started studying French by myself with some books and CD's I bought.

Anyone have any idea what I can do. Because its really hard for me right now being away from my wife, she also wants to live in France even after she has finished her masters.

Please any help will be much appreciated.

If you're serious about moving with your wife to France you need to learn French. This link is a thread that discusses methods of learning French:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/fr...nce/34515-anyone-teach-themselves-french.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is her fascination with living in France? Obviously, if she's doing a masters in France, she must speak the language passably well. If she's in a field that is in demand in France, she may have to consider supporting you for a while.

To be brutally honest, your chances of finding a job without speaking some level of French are pretty slim - especially in a small town like Dijon.
Cheers,
Bev
She just loves france, and her masters is taught in English not french. But she does have a decent level of french and is studying french while she is doing her masters. She is currently doing her masters in business and marketing however she dosent finish her course for another 1 1/2 years.

As for me i need to work in the UK for a while, while i study french before i move there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.