Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,

I am 39 years old and ACS accessed with my Education & Job experience (9 years of experience) as below.

" to be suitable for migration under 261313 (Software Engineer) of the ANZSCO Code."

I have got IETLS results as L:7, R:7, W:6 and S:6.5 (Over all band score is 6.5)

With this my points are 55, so I am not eligible for 189 Visa.

Please tell me, should I go for 190 or 489? or try with one more attempt in IELTS get 7+ score then go for 189 visa.

I am confused with the Diff between 189 vs 190 vs 489.

Any help is highly appreciated!!!

Bye
Kamatchi Sundaram.R

·
Registered
39 Posts
The best visa to get is 189 visa which is generally given to the most eligible skilled workers. No restrictions what so ever. Free to work and live across the country.
Then comes the 190 visa which restricts your stay to a state for a period of 2 years (of the 4 years of permanent residency). You have to work in that state, mostly in its capital which reduces your mobility but is highly desired if you have to get your first job
489 is a regional visa and is a provisional one. This is not a permanent residency. Its a 4 year temporary visa which can be converted to permanent residency after sometime. There are certain regional areas within a state which are generally away from city. Australia has vast areas of free land, so these regional areas are sparsely populated, have limited jobs or living opportunities.

Now coming to visa, 189 is when u can get all the 60 points on your own
190 visa requires you to get a sponsorship from one of the states and once you get that recommendation from the state, you get 5 points additional to your existing score. This makes sense only when u are falling short of 5 points
But there are few people who fall short of 10 points. So for them, they need to get a regional sponsorship from one of the states.

Nominated skilled visas like 190 and 489 have long queues and limited invites which increases your lead time to visa. For state sponsorship (190 visa), its might be 4 to 6 months more than 189 applicants of total time. 489 takes even longer. Sometimes an year more than the 189 applicants.

At this point i can tell you getting another 10 points in IELTS or PTE is the most easiest and convenient way. For once you get the 189 visa and you are done. But for 190 and 489 you are still half done before you can say you are officially a resident and the process is long drawn. Unless you have lost hope on writing exams further, I would recommend you to prepare well for IELT. This is also useful further down the line when u migrate to aus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply..

Your reply gave insight about each visa types in a more practical terms.

I will better clear the IELTS and go for 189.
Even in my mind, I choose 189 instead of other visa types.

Once again...Thanks..

Bye
Kamatchi sundaram.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts