Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im looking for someone who has good knowledge of audio recording/production.
I wanna learn how to master my music.

The problem is... Mostly I end up with loud beats and low vocals or the opposite. Many artists suggested me to use EQ, Compressor, Limiter, etc... But I couldn't pin point the exact settings.

A little help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Mastering audio is an art in itself, like you said there are tools for the job such as EQ's, compressors etc and these have presets. However nothing compares to proper training and experience. I've heard thousands of demo's where the artist has downloaded the Waves plugs-ins illegally and used every one on every mix - as a result they all sound awful.

If you are serious about learning mastering there is an SAE school in Knowledge village - The largest worldwide private college for Audio Production, Film Production, Interactive Animation and Applied Multimedia - SAE Dubai - I'd contact them. Their courses aren't cheap but the school is very well equipped, their tutors are very knowledgeable and it's hands on training. I did a two day Ableton course there and there is a 3 month audio production course I'd like to take one day.

This months Music Tech magazine has a supplement on the basics of mastering you may like, also there is a million articles and tutorials on the web eg Computer Music

Like I said, it is an art in itself and you will have to learn from the beginning. In the professional industry there are engineers who will only deal with mastering and while others will only deal with studio sessions, original compositions etc.

If this all sounds like it's do much for you and you want to concentrate on just making the music - I do. There are loads of online mastering companies now. Basically, try to leave your track as clean as possible, leave around 3db headroom and upload the track to soundcloud or something. They will master it for you, for as little as 360 AED per track.

A google search will unearth loads of companies that provide this service but I'm going to try these people whenever I get round to getting anything finished ;) - Subvert Central Mastering

Hope this helps

·
Banned
598 Posts
Mrrossi, well play'd sir, well play'd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Mastering audio is an art in itself, like you said there are tools for the job such as EQ's, compressors etc and these have presets. However nothing compares to proper training and experience. I've heard thousands of demo's where the artist has downloaded the Waves plugs-ins illegally and used every one on every mix - as a result they all sound awful.

If you are serious about learning mastering there is an SAE school in Knowledge village - The largest worldwide private college for Audio Production, Film Production, Interactive Animation and Applied Multimedia - SAE Dubai - I'd contact them. Their courses aren't cheap but the school is very well equipped, their tutors are very knowledgeable and it's hands on training. I did a two day Ableton course there and there is a 3 month audio production course I'd like to take one day.

This months Music Tech magazine has a supplement on the basics of mastering you may like, also there is a million articles and tutorials on the web eg Computer Music

Like I said, it is an art in itself and you will have to learn from the beginning. In the professional industry there are engineers who will only deal with mastering and while others will only deal with studio sessions, original compositions etc.

If this all sounds like it's do much for you and you want to concentrate on just making the music - I do. There are loads of online mastering companies now. Basically, try to leave your track as clean as possible, leave around 3db headroom and upload the track to soundcloud or something. They will master it for you, for as little as 360 AED per track.

A google search will unearth loads of companies that provide this service but I'm going to try these people whenever I get round to getting anything finished ;) - Subvert Central Mastering

Hope this helps
Thanks a lot Mr Rossi
I've already checked SAE... The course fee is way too expensive for me... I asked them if they had a course for mastering only, they said they don't have it.

Well, AED360 sounds reasonable... I might go for it... But how do I approach them? Please explain.

Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Hope this helps
yeah what he said.... :tongue1:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Well for Subvert you email them, pay them via paypal I guess and send over a single file of your mixed down song via FTP or Soundcloud. They'll master it for you, then send you back the finished file.

One thing mastering won't do though is make something bad sound good, mastering is only the final gloss over a track, put rubbish in and you'll still get rubbish out. I'm assuming your problems are in the mix and this is where you need to concentrate your efforts and improve your skills. The fact you have loud beats or quiet vocals means you need to go back to the very beginning of your track and re-address what you are doing.

I read online a good analogy the other day. Think of your track as a painting and every single action as a brush stroke. If you are painting a picture you don't just open all the paint you have and slap it on the canvas all at once, you think and get a feel for what you are doing and build it up gradually. Your music should be the same. One thing is to do is resist the temptation to download every plug-in, soft synth and sample on the internet and throw them all into one song.

I've done this in the past and when beginning it's easy to do, download a pirated synth worth a few hundred dollars and then feel the need to put 10 of its presets all over your song. The same with eq's, compression etc. From the very beginning of a new song think about what you are doing at each stage and why, if you are adding or removing something, think about why you are doing it.

Take your track right back to the very beginning and think about each noise and why it is there.

For example I'll start with a kick drum. For the kick drum I like a quite a dull thump so I'll apply an envelope with a slight bit of attack to soften the inital sound and run this through a low-pass filter. This only lets through the low end frequencies of the kick drum I want. This might kill off quite a bit of the original sound so I might double it up with another kick sound or even a bass sound 2 or 3 octaves down.

Next I'll add a closed hi-hat. The closed hi-hat I'll tighten the envelope around the sample right up. No attack and I'll pull the decay, sustain, and release right in. Almost so the hi-hat is nothing more than a short click. After this I'll add a high pass filter so the sound is going through is only the high frequencies and I'll add a small bit of reverb to give it some body. Remember when applying reverb or delay less is more, too much will just swamp your mix and your song later.

All I have at this stage is a simple boom-tsch boom-tsch loop but I'll contstantly have it on, tweaking listening to every change, tweaking, changing it back etc. You can get really bogged down and take this too far so don't spend too long on crafting sounds but at the same time keep going until you are happy.

Then I'll add other drum sounds and then vocals, pads or bass. Then FX, leads and so on but each time thinking about what I'm doing and trying to get a good sound that sits well within the other elements of the song. When I have a decent enough 4 bar loop, I'll start mapping the structure out - intro, bridge, verse, chorus, breakdown, verse etc. But even at this stage I'll find myself going back and making tweaks the original sounds, though not too many.

As for mixing, which I'm thinking which is where you are struggling rather than final mastering - When I'm doing the initial loop I'm putting the sliders on the desk just at rough places so that it comfortable for my ears while constructing the loop. When I start mapping out the composition of the track I'm fine tuning the sliders as I'm working through the track.

One thing I do is to use the drums or even the kick as "zero point" and relate the other elements to that. Other wise you just go through the song going "the bass is too loud, the bass is too quiet" and changing it needlessly. Remember your ears tire over the course of a session and your not always at your best to make judgements.

So say I'll have my song, I'll play the basic drums with the bass and set the bass volume, I'll play the same drums with just he pads and set the volume for them, then just the drums and lead line. When you turn all intruments back on you'll find they are in a pretty good position for the final mixdown.

In summary a tracks final sound is only as good as it's component elements, if you take time to craft these properly (little brush strokes on your painting) you'll find the later stages ie mixing down will come a lot easier and everything will sit well. Then you, or someone else, can master your final track.

Music production is a never ending journey, I'm sure even masters like Brian Eno discover something new everyday so keep at it but keep looking at forums, youtube and reading magazines etc. There is an excellent entry level to intermediate magazine called Computer Music, for some reason you don't seem to be able to get it in the UAE anymore so you may have to subscribe online but it's well worth it.

Also take a look at this, it's from it's sister magazine Future Music and shows how dubstep producer Benga constructs a track. Even if you don't like dubstep it's worth watching for the stuff I'm on about here. He's got the most basic of equipment, looks like he's even in his bedroom rather than a proper studio but it highlights perfectly the importance of getting your sounds good in the beginning -
- It also proves how it's skill and talent that gets you to the top of your game and not the tools you use.

Sorry for the essay and this is probably the most irrelevent post on this forum but I get well carried away when talking about this stuff, hope some of it helps. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
YEA BENGA!!!! Watched him live!

Dubstep is awesome...

anyways... you carry on...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.