Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
This is my first post in this forum. I am a software engineer with 5.5 years of experience, and my wife is a software test engineer with the same experience. We are planning to apply for a PR to move to australia.
I talked to a couple of consultancies in Bangalore who process australian PR, and they charge around 50 to 100k INR as consultation fees. Upon inquiring further, I understood that they do not do anything special for the fees they charge, just guide me through the process!

Here's what information that I've gathered so far.
  1. Either me or my wife can become a primary applicant, since both of us qualify. I can apply for 189 visa, but my wife being a software test engineer, can apply only for 190 (state sponsored visa). So I am planning to be the primary applicant.
  2. The initial step is to get myself evaluated from ACS. Then comes EOI, DIAC application fees and medical/police verification.

Do I have a better chance if I go through an agent? If I decide to go ahead on my own with the application, can someone point me to links about the documents required? I could not find any thread dedicated to it here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi,

We are from Bangalore and are applying for the PR as well. We have also visited a few agents but decided to do it on our own. There is a lot of help available and the process is fairly simple. My husband is into IT and I am a Chartered Accountant. He is the primary applicant in our case.

As you have written, you need ACS assessment and IELTS score to apply for the EOI. There are a number of forums here with lots of info on ACS assessment. The ACS site also is very informative. Before that, check the eligibility points you score. (Available on the Australia Immigration website).

IELTS and ACS, that is the first step. Good luck.

Neela.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi there,
This is my first post in this forum. I am a software engineer with 5.5 years of experience, and my wife is a software test engineer with the same experience. We are planning to apply for a PR to move to australia.
I talked to a couple of consultancies in Bangalore who process australian PR, and they charge around 50 to 100k INR as consultation fees. Upon inquiring further, I understood that they do not do anything special for the fees they charge, just guide me through the process!

1. Either me or my wife can become a primary applicant, since both of us qualify. I can apply for 189 visa, but my wife being a software test engineer, can apply only for 190 (state sponsored visa). So I am planning to be the primary applicant.
  2. The initial step is to get myself evaluated from ACS. Then comes EOI, DIAC application fees and medical/police verification.

Do I have a better chance if I go through an agent? If I decide to go ahead on my own with the application, can someone point me to links about the documents required? I could not find any thread dedicated to it here.

Thanks in advance.
Hello,

Welcome to EF. I will leave the advice to senior members here but I can clarify your one assumption. "but my wife being a software test engineer, can apply only for 190 (state sponsored visa). " This is wrong even she can apply for 189 visa you being dependent as software testing is in SOL ANZSCO Code - 261314 Software Tester. Please check.

Regarding applying through agent even I felt so, I doing it my self too :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
My understanding is Primary applicant Occupation need to be in SOL-1 for 189

Also I read somewhere (not 100% sure), if partner point is being claimed, then both Occupation need to be on same SOL (ie, SOL-1 or CSOL)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
Hey there,

I would if you want more comfort, shop around for agents with proven track record, and don't get persuaded to make hasty decisions by the agents. i learnt the hard way. If you really want to do it on your own, go and take a look at the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship website. They have a checklist to help people with the migration documents. But do be very meticulous in the submission, as i know a few people who had their applications rejected due to documents being left out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. So I went through all the information that I can find in the skillselect website.
My total points come to 65 (assuming I get separate 7 in each module in IELTS) and I claim for my partner's skills. If I go for a state sponsorship, I can get 70 points.

1) In order to claim partner skills, should I get an ACS assessment done for her skills? Should her skills be also in SOL1 list itself, if we decide to go ahead with 189 independent visa?
Should my partner also take IELTS test? What should be her minimum score?

2) Assuming I get 65 points without a state sponsorship, do I stand a fair chance to get an invitation? Should I go for a state sponsorship to get 70 points?

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

We are from Bangalore and are applying for the PR as well. We have also visited a few agents but decided to do it on our own. There is a lot of help available and the process is fairly simple. My husband is into IT and I am a Chartered Accountant. He is the primary applicant in our case.

As you have written, you need ACS assessment and IELTS score to apply for the EOI. There are a number of forums here with lots of info on ACS assessment. The ACS site also is very informative. Before that, check the eligibility points you score. (Available on the Australia Immigration website).

Neela.
Since your husband is your primary applicant, are you claiming points for partner skills? If yes, did you have to take a skill assessment and IELTS test?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Though I am a qualified Chartered Accountant and my skills are listed in SOL1, we have decided that we will not claim points for partner skills. As you rightly said, I need to get my skills assessed and also take the IELTS test.

Hopefully, we will have enough points that claiming points for partner is not required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Though I am a qualified Chartered Accountant and my skills are listed in SOL1, we have decided that we will not claim points for partner skills. As you rightly said, I need to get my skills assessed and also take the IELTS test.

Hopefully, we will have enough points that claiming points for partner is not required.
OK. I was under the impression that more the points, more our chances are for an invitation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thats true. But as I said we are hoping to get enough points (70 or more) without the points for partner skills. So, we may not need additional points

Reactions: jingaboys

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
Hi There,

Hopefully, we must have sorted out by now.

I am also planning to apply the PR for australia and my situation is very similar to you. My husband and I are working with IT for past 6 years.We have calculated our points and it comes to 65 without adding IELTS points. I am planning to claim 5 points for spouse skills also.

My queries:
1) Do we both need to give IELTS before we go for EOI?
2) Do we both need to assess our skills before we can go for EOI?
3) how long does it take ( rough estimate ) to get invitation after we apply for EOI.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also planning to apply the PR for australia

Hi There,

I am also planning to apply the PR for australia and my situation is very similar to you. My husband and I are working with IT for past 6 years.We have calculated our points and it comes to 65 without adding IELTS points. I am planning to claim 5 points for spouse skills also.

My queries:
3) how long does it take ( rough estimate ) to get invitation after we apply for EOI.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi There,

My queries:

Thanks
Hi Garima,

Its good to see that you have got 65 points without adding the IELTS points. However, IELTS is mandatory for the primary applicant (as you have enough points and my assumption is that you are not claiming points for spouse skills).
Skills assessment is mandatory for the primary applicant.

If you are planning to claim points for spouse skills as well, then both IELTS and Skill assessment are mandatory for both of you.

and yes both needs to be done prior to EOI

·
Registered
10 Posts
claim partner points

OK. So I went through all the information that I can find in the skillselect website.
My total points come to 65 (assuming I get separate 7 in each module in IELTS) and I claim for my partner's skills. If I go for a state sponsorship, I can get 70 points.

1) In order to claim partner skills, should I get an ACS assessment done for her skills? Should her skills be also in SOL1 list itself, if we decide to go ahead with 189 independent visa?
Should my partner also take IELTS test? What should be her minimum score?

2) Assuming I get 65 points without a state sponsorship, do I stand a fair chance to get an invitation? Should I go for a state sponsorship to get 70 points?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Hi Jingaboys,

My situation is almost similar to you. I am going ahead with 189 and will claim partner points as well. Do we both need to give IELTS and get skill assessed from ACS? :confused::confused:

TIA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Migrating to OZ

Hi,

Neela.
Hi Neela,

Saw your post and found it very similar to ours :) .I am a software test engineer with 6 years of experience and my husband is a chartered accountant from chennai. We are planning to apply PR as well and approached 'visas simply' consultancy. Hence thought of getting in touch with you to get some assistance.

Thanks,
Hemalatha N

·
Registered
10 Posts
My husband got invitation for subclass 189........now he has to apply for his visa......
Can I approach a consultancy or launch a visa on our own.....can anybody give an idea about the documents needed for visa application.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts