Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to everyone its been a while I been on the site . Got pregnant with twins and and was on bed rest for a little while had some difficulty with my pregnancy was in and out of the hospital not a very nice experience. I have a bit of a situation and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I will make my story has short has possible. My mom came over on a 90 day visa to help me because of my difficult pregnancy and its just me and my husband, her 90 days will soon be up but I am still slowly recovering from a c section and still need her here to help me out. I know she cant really extend her 90 days visa but I was wondering if there is anyone or anywhere where I can go to explain my situation and if it would be possible to enable her to stay a month more. My doctor even give me a letter stating I need the help. Will appreciate some advise thank you .

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
The Prefecture in Bastia is notoriously slow at doing anything (am still waiting 2 years later for my exchange of driving licence), so I'd present the problem to them - you are still in the Balagne aren't you? - get a written receipt of your enquiry and let your Mum stay on with you, sorting out any subsequent problems if they crop up. Yes, it's not not exactly the "proper" way to do things, but if your Mum has a return ticket I can't see them taking any serious action.

Congratulations by the way :)

hils

Reactions: lizzyloving

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Hi Lizzy

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've no experience, so I will not comment.

First of all congratulations - I hope mother and babies are doing well?

Second, you might also trying to make contact and friends with your Mairie. I've lived in 2 villages in France and in 12 years I've seen people helped by the Mairie. Not always practical help, but more that the Marie talks to the Prefecture, and the Mairie knows who to talks to ( and who NOT to talk to!).

Example, we had an immigrant family here in the village on a visa obtained by the husband. The husband left his wife and children and the Prefecture wanted to get the wife out of France. The Mairie supported the application for the wife to adopt Fr nationality and it worked out well - but only because the Mairie knew how things worked and the poor wife (or any other individual) did not know, and did not have the contacts.

Good luck!

DejW

·
Administrator
50,765 Posts
Though I would definitely try both the mairie and the prefecture, let me just add one note of "gloom and doom" here by saying you should be prepared to have your mother leave as originally planned. The issue of immigration is becoming "hot" at the moment, as evidenced by the news stories about high school kids being shipped back home (with or without their families). The danger at times like this is that various people and offices within the government feel the need to "make a statement" and it's the little folks in the middle that get caught. (I ran into this phenomena back in 1995 when they had the hunger strikes at St. Bernard's in Paris and the infamous "Air Juppé.")

If you can't get an extension for your mother's stay, you can ask at the mairie about an assistant maternelle. It's not as good as having Mom to take care of things, but it sure beats trying to cope all by yourself.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the quick reply appreciate it. I will try the mairie and see if they would be sympathetic to my situation. keeping my fingers cross and hoping for a miracle. until my mother will still plan to leave has schedule :( thank you all for the advise

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Prefecture in Bastia is notoriously slow at doing anything (am still waiting 2 years later for my exchange of driving licence), so I'd present the problem to them - you are still in the Balagne aren't you? - get a written receipt of your enquiry and let your Mum stay on with you, sorting out any subsequent problems if they crop up. Yes, it's not not exactly the "proper" way to do things, but if your Mum has a return ticket I can't see them taking any serious action.

Congratulations by the way :)

hils
thank you. I am in Porticcio now move from Adjaccio which is not too far away and will be going there again soon lol has Porticcio is not so good for transportation and I don't drive so its not too easy to get around . I have a whole lot of papers to show from the time I was pregnant that I need my mom here. I am still taking treatment from my operation a nurse come home everyday to treat my cut and to give me a injection since I leave the hospital which is a month now. I am really hoping everything will work out for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.