Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Viktoria and I just wanted to say I discovered this gem of a forum today and am still learning so please bear with me! :heh:
I am an 18 year student currently living in Toronto, Ontario. I have always loved big cities and feel most at home surrounded by a lot of people and cars. Since I was a child I adored England, and this past fall I got the opportunity to visit London. The word love is an understatement here, but I have pretty much fallen in love with the city, culture, everything!! I have done a lot of travelling in my short life time, and although I pretty much love every place I have visited, I simply cannot picture myself satisfied with my life unless I am living in England.
Now I don't do things without overthinking and being prepared so I am currently studying to get my paralegal diploma and possibly a degree and at least a years worth of experience in the paralegal field here in Canada. I want to make sure i have something to fall back on if my plans don't work out. After that I am really stuck. Let me start off by saying I have a dual citizenship with Canada and Poland. I am not sure how this works, and if I am able to stay in England as long as I want or what the terms of me working there are? Also, I realize that my diploma will not be recognized there.. what are my best bets on taking courses and finding a career? I would love something in an office environment and wouldn't mine studying in england. Help!

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
Well, provided UK decides to stay in EU (referendum due by end of 2017) and doesn't win opt-outs, with your Polish passport you will enjoy freedom of movement throughout EU including UK. It means you can live and work here without visa or permit, though ability to claim benefits is likely to be severely restricted.
Being allowed into the country doesn't mean you can get a job as well. Your paralegal qualification won't be accepted but you can still get general clerical work. You can train to become a legal executive here and some employers will help with formation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does one go about, for example, becoming a legal executive? Could i take courses through an alternative school of some sort, or would I need to attend a British university?

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
You have to study at a college in UK plus working in qualifying job. See Chartered Institute of Legal Executives site for details: www.cilex.org.uk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.