Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I and our 6 year old twins are planning a year in france in 2013. We are both self employed and will be doing a long holiday let on a property (as yet where in undesided but rural as opposed to city) I would love some advice on education for my children. Will they be able to integrate into a local school? Should I home school? As yet they dont speak the language but they are slowly learning! Any helpful advice welcome. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Most 6yos should be able to integrate within a year. I say most because my youngest was 6 when we arrived and she surprised us by becoming completely resistant to all things France/French. This meant she didn't want anything to do with learning the language. If you can, check with the schools and see what type of support the do (or don't) provide children that age who do not know French. The school my kids are at doesn't provide any for children who are 6 and in CP. Their rationale is that kids are just learning to read and write, they might as well be in the regular classroom. I think that was detrimental to my DD. No one at the school was actually helping her learn French - it was all on her to do it. (And us to hire a tutor)

As to whether to homeschool...the big advantage I see to that is that you are free from the restrictions of the school calendar. The negative is that it will be difficult for your 6yo to meet others. The number of families that homeschools is so small, that it is likely there won't be any others in your area. The laws are also such that if you are only here for a year, I think they'll look the other way if your child doesn't learn French and the French national curriculum. But if you stay for another year, there could be problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My twins (also 6!) dad enquired at his local school in France about them doing a winter enrolment there and they welcomed them. It may depend on the school, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also, it will be easier for your kids to pick up the language in the school setting playing with other kids. Some towns/villages provide weekly French tutors at your home, again I think this depends where you live. Bear in mind the additional burden on yourself of home-schooling and your own business. I couldn't run a business and look after mine all-day, it would be impossible! If you are able I think the school is the way
to go. Bev did a really good post on here on the education system, sorry I can't link to it, you may find that useful too. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most 6yos should be able to integrate within a year. I say most because my youngest was 6 when we arrived and she surprised us by becoming completely resistant to all things France/French. This meant she didn't want anything to do with learning the language. If you can, check with the schools and see what type of support the do (or don't) provide children that age who do not know French. The school my kids are at doesn't provide any for children who are 6 and in CP. Their rationale is that kids are just learning to read and write, they might as well be in the regular classroom. I think that was detrimental to my DD. No one at the school was actually helping her learn French - it was all on her to do it. (And us to hire a tutor)

As to whether to homeschool...the big advantage I see to that is that you are free from the restrictions of the school calendar. The negative is that it will be difficult for your 6yo to meet others. The number of families that homeschools is so small, that it is likely there won't be any others in your area. The laws are also such that if you are only here for a year, I think they'll look the other way if your child doesn't learn French and the French national curriculum. But if you stay for another year, there could be problems.
Thanks loads for the advice. I think id want them to go to a school but i dont want to just throw them in at the dep end1 Although sometimes thats what works for kids eh! My husband may not be working much so thinks he would be able to home school but id want them to mix with other children and not be isolated. Its all quite exciting but terrifying at the same time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, it will be easier for your kids to pick up the language in the school setting playing with other kids. Some towns/villages provide weekly French tutors at your home, again I think this depends where you live. Bear in mind the additional burden on yourself of home-schooling and your own business. I couldn't run a business and look after mine all-day, it would be impossible! If you are able I think the school is the way
to go. Bev did a really good post on here on the education system, sorry I can't link to it, you may find that useful too. Good luck.
Thank loads for your help. Really appreciated! I dont think home schooling is ideal either its just the fear of dropping them in to the unknown! ometimes though kids flourish like that dont they. And they are twins do have each other. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.