Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have just joined this site for advice please. I am from the UK and my family and i are looking into moving to US to live if possible. I am a qualified nurse, my husband is a qualified plumber with his own business. We have 3 daughters age 10 and under.
I have tried researching the internet in regards to visas and am left quite confused by it all. I am not sure if we would have more luck getting a visa through employment or by investing [E2 Visa]
Also we need to find a legal person/company who could advise us and guide us to where and how we start this process.
Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi, i have just joined this site for advice please. I am from the UK and my family and i are looking into moving to US to live if possible. I am a qualified nurse, my husband is a qualified plumber with his own business. We have 3 daughters age 10 and under.
I have tried researching the internet in regards to visas and am left quite confused by it all. I am not sure if we would have more luck getting a visa through employment or by investing [E2 Visa]
Also we need to find a legal person/company who could advise us and guide us to where and how we start this process.
Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.
I see some possibilities in here.

Have you got a minimum of $250k capital available for an E2 investment?
Have you got a nursing degree?
Have you passed the NCLEX?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't offer any advice on the E2 visa but I can tell you my experience of the EB3 route. If you intend working as a nurse I would suggest you try and get your nurse training approved sooner rather than later. I was lucky as I trained the "traditional" way, but I know that those training under the P2000 route and after have sometimes run into difficulty. Overseras nurses need to prove the training they had is comparable to the US training and sometimes they fall short with the hours. Even though my training was ok it still took me 1 year to get ATT (approval to test). I went through Vermont and first tried to get approval directly from them but they were not satisfied with the way the school of nursing (now part of a university) completed the transcript. I have a CES cert from CGFNS and I wish I had done that first as it will be useful for when I want to apply for a license in another state.
You probably know about retrogression and it is likely to be a long wait, although there is some movement in recent months. The EB3 cut off date in Feb visa bulletin is Sept 02, Januarys VB has projected numbers by the end of 2010 fiscal year and is estimating EB3 cut off will be Sept 2005. This is not set in stone and things could change, so I will believe it when I see it.
At the moment there are not many agencies offering sponsorship to the US but it is possible to arrange the NCLEX and apply for jobs without the use of an agency. At the moment the hospitals willing to sponsor are few and far between, but things may change and if you have already got a US license you will be in a better position if / when the situation improves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see some possibilities in here.

Have you got a minimum of $250k capital available for an E2 investment?
Have you got a nursing degree?
Have you passed the NCLEX?
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes i think we would have the capital for an E2 visa. No i only have nursing diploma not degree. I have not looked into changing my nursing qualifications to US standards yet.
I have contacted the US Embassy to research abit more about the visas.
Thanks for your help, Cat :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't offer any advice on the E2 visa but I can tell you my experience of the EB3 route. If you intend working as a nurse I would suggest you try and get your nurse training approved sooner rather than later. I was lucky as I trained the "traditional" way, but I know that those training under the P2000 route and after have sometimes run into difficulty. Overseras nurses need to prove the training they had is comparable to the US training and sometimes they fall short with the hours. Even though my training was ok it still took me 1 year to get ATT (approval to test). I went through Vermont and first tried to get approval directly from them but they were not satisfied with the way the school of nursing (now part of a university) completed the transcript. I have a CES cert from CGFNS and I wish I had done that first as it will be useful for when I want to apply for a license in another state.
You probably know about retrogression and it is likely to be a long wait, although there is some movement in recent months. The EB3 cut off date in Feb visa bulletin is Sept 02, Januarys VB has projected numbers by the end of 2010 fiscal year and is estimating EB3 cut off will be Sept 2005. This is not set in stone and things could change, so I will believe it when I see it.
At the moment there are not many agencies offering sponsorship to the US but it is possible to arrange the NCLEX and apply for jobs without the use of an agency. At the moment the hospitals willing to sponsor are few and far between, but things may change and if you have already got a US license you will be in a better position if / when the situation improves.
Thanks Jane for your advice.
I am a P2000 nurse so it might be more work!! I do know that i will have to seriously start looking into how i can update my qualifications to US standards.
I always thought as a nurse it would be easy to move but now i don't think it is!!!
We are still determined to move to US so it will just mean alot more research i think.
Thanks again for your help, Cat :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might be ok it, depends on the theory and clinical hours you have, it doesn't need to be to degree level either.
As a general figure as well as hours in Med / Surg you need hours in mental health, paeds, maternity, community. If you have this there may be nothing else you need, I remember when I was still a student P2000 nurse had just started and there were many complaints as some of them never had a placement in an acute hospital environment. They were placed in childrens nurseries, nursing / residential homes etc. Others I worked with had quite a few placements in acute care. Hope you find away to follow your dreams.
Jane

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes i think we would have the capital for an E2 visa. No i only have nursing diploma not degree. I have not looked into changing my nursing qualifications to US standards yet.
I have contacted the US Embassy to research abit more about the visas.
Thanks for your help, Cat :)
Okay -- so I can still see possibilities here. The embassy, BTW, doesn't do advice. You can research yourself using the web and boards like this and/or use a US immigration attorney. Both are best then you can judge the quality of the advice the attorney is giving you.

You've had some great advice off JaneRN, and that's your first step on what will be a long journey with no guarantees if you decide to take it.

Let's say you've got your NCLEX and are state certified. There are then two routes you can take here.

Either:
Pursue a visa with your skills. As Jane says, the number of employers offering sponsorship are a little thin on the ground, especially now. And the big downer is that most will be offering an H1b visa, and that does NOT give your spouse permission to work. So he'll be sitting at home twiddling his thumbs until you can get your employer to sponsor you further for a green card -- and there's a line for these, too.

Or:
Have your husband take an E2. Plumbing is probably not the best business as he needs to employ folks. I like the franchises like a UPS store or similar. But he must do what he's comfortable with. Your hold in the US will be linked to the success of the business.
Now as the spouse of an E2 holder not involved in the E2 business, you can get an employment authorisation document, which means you have the right to work for any employer. It'll now be much easier to get a nursing job.
The issue with the E2 is that it's not easily converted to a green card -- there is no direct path. However, you could as a working nurse with the aid of your employer secure the green cards for permenant residency.

Afraid you're being thrown in at the deep end here and there's a lot to learn. Feel free to ask any questions as you continue your research.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts