Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there..my husband has been offered a job in Dubai. His package is as follows:
AED 14 000 per month (rising to AED 15 000 after 6 months probation), AED 8000 per month Housing allowance, AED2000 car allowance + fuel, Leave tickets for the whole family, visas, 30 days annual leave, medical insurance for the whole family. There is no schooling allowance or relocation allowance. We are a family of 3 (2 adults and a child of 11 yrs old). Will this package be sufficient as we would have to pay schooling for my daughter and i dont want to battle financially.
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.:):confused:

·
Banned
423 Posts
Your school fees alone will be 5000/month minimum, that seems to me to be on the low side, Get schooling paid for and you'll be OK

·
Banned
423 Posts
Work out how much you earn in UK BEFORE tax, then add a minimum of 50%, if it's less than the figure you've been offered then I would stay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i have taken my annual salary in pounds added 50%. I then multiplied it by the exchange rate and got a figure. I subtracted that figure from the offer in AED. Is the way i have done it correct?

·
Banned
423 Posts
Say you earn 20k before tax (ease of figures), add 50% (10k) then translate into AED, if that's less than you've been offered you're on a roll.

Or to put it another way, if you earn LESS than 35k before tax, you're a winner!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Regardless, 14000 in the uae, without schooling paid, and having to top off the car allowance for something decent and another car going to be needed.

So you are looking at 8k for the vehicle and school pretty much, leaving you with 6000. No way is that enough to live on.

Are you going to be working? If you take a cheaper apartment, can you pocket the extra amount or are they just paying the housing up to that amount?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The contract reads: Housing allowance AED 8000 per month. I think thats what we get regardless. Only one car needed between us. I would like to work at a later stage once we have settled.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Toon ...either way you put it..on paper figures..it seems i am a winner! :)
There's your answer then. However just to add, always, ALWAYS negotiate, ask for say 20k base, and agree on 16-17.

You never know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.