Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

I have recently been given the JSV, I had applied for PR but they gave me the Work To Residence option. Now the issue is my Visa expires on 8th Jan 2014 (last date for first entry), I really want to know is it better that i visit now (in October) for job hunt or in early JAN next year (max by 6th Jan 2014). I am in a fix and really need advice on this

:help::help::

TIA
~Mani

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi maniman

I believe,Dec is the holiday time for not only NZ, but the whole world.
And as far as hiring is concerned, I think they dont want to hire a resource a pay for the time when not much work is happening, so that would be better if you plan to visit Early Jan, and start your job search in new season in New year.

Moreover, you have visa to work, so you can start your search from here only.
Apply for various jobs posted online, and try to get a job offer in hand before you land there.

Best of Luck!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply, I tried online but seems like they prefer people who are already in NZ. Also since Jan is like summer holiday people have advised me to either come in Mid FEB or NOW. I cant wait till feb since my WorkPermit will expire on 8th Jan 2014. I am in some sort of catch 22.

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply, I tried online but seems like they prefer people who are already in NZ. Also since Jan is like summer holiday people have advised me to either come in Mid FEB or NOW. I cant wait till feb since my WorkPermit will expire on 8th Jan 2014. I am in some sort of catch 22.
You also have the option of applying to immigration for a variation of travel conditions - ie apply for an extension to your visa expiry date. If you need a reason tell them the truth. You aren't ready to travel yet and when you will be able to travel it will be highly unlikely you will find a job for a couple of months due to the holiday season.
Don't think it costs much to apply for this change and they can only say no!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply, I tried online but seems like they prefer people who are already in NZ. Also since Jan is like summer holiday people have advised me to either come in Mid FEB or NOW. I cant wait till feb since my WorkPermit will expire on 8th Jan 2014. I am in some sort of catch 22.
Hi

Thats true, Jan is almost a quiet month as far as recruitment is concerned,
it come up to the speed only in Feb.
I suggested you to go in Jan, as ur Visa will be expiring on 8 Jan.

I think, what escapetonz is suggesting, you can try to extend your visa conditions.

Give it a try, Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi,
Best of luck....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts