Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am here as an EU citizen (UK), but spent most of my life in the US and I NEED TO FIND WORK in PAU (Bev, you know me by now)...I taught English at Berlitz-L'Opera in Paris years ago so I have that training.
Also, worked in behavioural research, in a children's clothing/toy boutique, as a waitress, crisis line work, English teacher, Spanish teacher...lots of things!
Not sure where or how to start in a town the size of Pau without a ton of information readily available!
I can do most things, am qualified for some things...but need my French to be greatly improved and struggling to find a class/tutor.
I am also worried because if my US husband can only get a 'carte de sejour' if I show a good income then we are screwed as I am currently a stay-at-home mum with NO INCOME!!!
Man, do I need help!!
THANK YOU,
Beth

·
Registered
664 Posts
I am here as an EU citizen (UK), but spent most of my life in the US and I NEED TO FIND WORK in PAU (Bev, you know me by now)...I taught English at Berlitz-L'Opera in Paris years ago so I have that training.
Also, worked in behavioural research, in a children's clothing/toy boutique, as a waitress, crisis line work, English teacher, Spanish teacher...lots of things!
Not sure where or how to start in a town the size of Pau without a ton of information readily available!
I can do most things, am qualified for some things...but need my French to be greatly improved and struggling to find a class/tutor.
I am also worried because if my US husband can only get a 'carte de sejour' if I show a good income then we are screwed as I am currently a stay-at-home mum with NO INCOME!!!
Man, do I need help!!
THANK YOU,
Beth

Hi - hope this helps just a little -

Have you got a French Social Security number? Difficult to get work without it.

If you go to the Pau Chamber of Commerce website you'll fine a link to another site which offers language tuition to local businesses - your English and Spanish might come in useful. Formal training in this is an advantage but more important is the ability to teach some sort of Business English.

If your French is not great you might want to contact British or American-owned Bed + Breakfasts, hotels, gites as they are more likely to take on someone who is not French. Or possibly some British-run bookshop or bar in town.

It should be easy to find a French tutor - do you not get the free weekly newspaper? If not, then there are local websites where people advertise - eg kjiji.

Don't think babysitting is really an option unless you are registered with the town council as such.

Ian

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
Actually, as an EU national, you can bring your husband over with no income whatsoever. He just has to show up with his paperwork (i.d., etc.) and proof that you are an EU citizen and they pretty much have to give him the carte de séjour. I guess it's another of those EU rights to move to another EU country - never mind if you can actually afford to live there.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.