Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I may have submitted the wrong visa application.... Uh-oh..
I was trying to apply to what is commonly referred to as a UK spouse visa, but for some reason this is NOT one of the options on the Visa4UK drop down menus. It gave me the choices of coming as a family visitor for an extended stay or settlement- wife. I looked everywhere for clarification, but all I could find was that if you came as a visitor you were unable to work, no matter how long your stay. This is what lead me to choose the settlement-wife route. BUT... now I've read info online that says you can only apply for settlement if you've lived in the UK for 5 years! Ugh! So frustrating! If anyone can help me out with some clarification that would be great! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm thinking I may have submitted the wrong visa application.... Uh-oh..
I was trying to apply to what is commonly referred to as a UK spouse visa, but for some reason this is NOT one of the options on the Visa4UK drop down menus. It gave me the choices of coming as a family visitor for an extended stay or settlement- wife. I looked everywhere for clarification, but all I could find was that if you came as a visitor you were unable to work, no matter how long your stay. This is what lead me to choose the settlement-wife route. BUT... now I've read info online that says you can only apply for settlement if you've lived in the UK for 5 years! Ugh! So frustrating! If anyone can help me out with some clarification that would be great! Thank you in advance!
The settlement-wife route is correct. You are applying to go to the UK and eventually settle there, that's why it's called that. The 5 year thing means that you cannot apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain until you have been in the UK for 5 years.

What form did you fill out? Do you remember?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Leanna! Thx for getting back to me so quickly! I completed the process through Visa4UK, so there was not an actual form number. You just answer a series of questions and it creates an application for you. At the top of the completed application it just says "settlement - wife" on it. I was just concerned because I never actually saw the term "spouse visa" although everyone seems to refer to it as such. I'm feeling a bit better now :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hi Leanna! Thx for getting back to me so quickly! I completed the process through Visa4UK, so there was not an actual form number. You just answer a series of questions and it creates an application for you. At the top of the completed application it just says "settlement - wife" on it. I was just concerned because I never actually saw the term "spouse visa" although everyone seems to refer to it as such. I'm feeling a bit better now :)

Thank you!
Yes settlement - wife is correct :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.