Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be eligible to apply for naturalization as a spouse of a British national in November. I have been reviewing the application and have a question regarding referees. The instructions say to choose 2 people who have known me for at least 3 years. However, I will be applying on or around the 3 year anniversary of my arrival. The only eligible people I have known for over 3 years are related to my husband, so I can't use them. I was planning on asking a minister and possibly a teacher who is a friend of ours. I met these people sometime between November 2010 and January 2011, so it would be technically under 3 years. Would this be a problem, or are reasonable allowances allowed for those applying under the spousal route? Thank you for any advice you can give!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you wait to apply for citizenship until you have known them for 3 years?
I'd rather get the ball rolling as soon as possible. If I need to wait, I will. It seems like an odd requirement if you have a naturalization category that only requires 3 years residency. I wanted to see if there was something I was missing in this case.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
No. You're not missing anything. Actually, you need to have referees who have known you for more 3 years.

You don't have to apply for naturalization as soon as you've resided in the UK for 3 years. That's just one of the requirements. Another is that you have referees that you have known you for more 3 years. In your case, the 2 requirements don't happen to coincide. Only 1 has to be a UK citizen. Is there a person of professional standing that has known you for more than 3 years from your home country?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. You're not missing anything. Actually, you need to have referees who have known you for more 3 years.

You don't have to apply for naturalization as soon as you've resided in the UK for 3 years. That's just one of the requirements. Another is that you have referees that you have known you for more 3 years. In your case, the 2 requirements don't happen to coincide. Only 1 has to be a UK citizen. Is there a person of professional standing that has known you for more than 3 years from your home country?
I was a teacher in my home country, so I have quite a few American citizens there who would work. I assumed that they wanted British nationals or UK residents. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
One of them HAS to be a UK citizen so if you haven't known a UK passport holder who is not a relative for MORE than 3 years you're still going to have to wait until you do in order to apply.

From the passport application:

5.1 One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, eg minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this application). The other referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25

• they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years;

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
There also seems to be a unwritten rule that those applying in UK (so resident here) must have both sponsors who are also living here. Someone here had their application returned because one of the referees was resident abroad and could not be easily contacted by Liverpool nationality team.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to clarify what is meant by "more than" 3 years. Once it is the day after the 3 year mark of meeting, is that enough? There are some eligible people at church that I met within a week or two of my arrival. I want to wait until the correct time to ask them to complete the application page. Thank you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking over the application and required documentation to ensure I have everything I need, and I have a question regarding the below document requirement.

"Evidence that you are free from immigration time restrictions

You should provide: your passport showing permission to remain in the UK permanently; or the Home Office letter giving you permission to remain in the UK permanently."

Does this mean I cannot use my Biometric Residence Permit to show that I am free from immigration time restrictions? It shows that I have ILR, along with the date I received it.

The reason I am asking is because I currently cannot find my letter. I can only find the information I received with my Permit that references a letter being sent separately. If I do need the letter, is it possible to order a replacement?

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
BRP will be fine as proof of ILR. You now only get BRP as evidence and no entry is made in your passport

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.