Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a question about naturalisation

Do you have to be in the UK for 3 years as spouse if you were in the UK before under different immigration categories? I was on a post study work visa for two years and have been in the UK for 5 years now. After applying for my ILR and hopefully if i get through, can I apply for the naturalisation straight after, as i have been here for 5 years under different immigration categories? Or would I have to wait to apply after completing 5 years as a spouse?

Thanks

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Yes, you can. The only exception is if you were here illegally, or in prison or were a diplomat or otherwise exempt from immigration control.
Once you get your ILR, and you are married to a Briton and have been here for 3 years (not necessarily as spouse), you can apply. It's 5 years for everyone else and you must have had ILR for a year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Be aware

I immigrated to the UK 22 years ago and got naturalised 6 years later. I was not aware, but you lose your South African citizenship the moment you are naturalised UNLESS you apply to the South African authorities for dual citizenship BEFORE you naturalise.
I now wish to return to retire close to family and the process is much more complicated as I have to live there(require a visa) before I can apply for resumption of my citizenship.

You might not think so now, but some day you might want to return and furthermore it seems like the visa rules will change and it could become more costly to visit, so go for dual citizenship.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you can. The only exception is if you were here illegally, or in prison or were a diplomat or otherwise exempt from immigration control.
Once you get your ILR, and you are married to a Briton and have been here for 3 years (not necessarily as spouse), you can apply. It's 5 years for everyone else and you must have had ILR for a year.
Thanks Joppa

Just one query on that. You said that you must have had the ILR for a year. Does this apply for everyone?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.